More dumb questions

Miz

That I can't find the answers to online, :P

1: quiet air pumps - after looking on the web, I've kinda decided the aqua one stellar 200D. It needs to be quiet, one tube will be going into a 70l and another into a 38l is this ok? The tanks filters disturb the surface but this is just to help aerate the tanks. Needs to be quiet as both tanks are in my bedroom.

2: a heater for my 70l. It's an aquaone ecostyle 61, it's currently my only tank as I'm moving very shortly and will be converting this one to tropical and putting my cold water fish into the smaller tank. I want a good heater that will hopefully last well and work well. I've been looking at the jager 100w heater is this a good option?

2.1: is a heater protector/cover worth getting?

Thanks in advance, I'll probably think of more. :)

Both your tanks are trickle filters? The way an air pump operates is that the bubbles disturb the surface of the tank allowing for gas exchange. Unless you really like the look of bubbles or are going to overstock your tank you most probably won't need one if the filter is moving the surface of the water. Stellar is the quietest air pump around. The size air pump you need is not only based on how many tanks you are going to split the line to but also the distance that the air pump needs to push through.

A jager 100 would be perfect. Good quality and reliable. You will need a thermometer as well as these heaters need to be calibrated to achieve the right reading. I recommend a glass thermometer - I think they are about $4. The strips that stick on the outside of the tank tend to pick up the room temperature.

I've never ever used a protector and have never had a fish get burnt.

Hi, thanks for the answer. :)

Yes, both tanks are trickle filters, however, very very nosey! I've quieted them down by putting a bit of filter sponge over the end of the filter bit. (God, terrible descriptions click here I took a photo, my finger is pointing to the sponge I put in there, filter is obvious off) to stop the "waterfall" because it makes it impossible to sleep. The water still gets disturbed from the water exiting the filter, but it did stop the bubbles flowing down into the water around 90%. I was worried the fish may not get enough air? I do not plan on overstocking the tanks. :)

...I also do like bubbles. :)

Ok, so jager 100 it is, and I'll definitely get one of those glass thermometers.

I fill them untill I can see no gap between the water and the tanks top when the filters are off. The water covers the filter power head and touches the underneath of the filter. It drops down a bit (as per pic) when the filter is running due to the water pulling into the filter holds. (1100l p/h in that one so seems to hold a bit around 5l in it the filter when going.)

If it's really hummy, I suppose I could turn bubbles off at night? Since the water surface is being disturbed this shouldn't matter too much should it? My friend said sit it on a cloth/tea towel as it stops the hum? (Guessing just stops vibration? Lol)

:D

I guess it is mostly for visual reasons (and just to help aerate the tank a bit) so I'll look into a timer, thanks. :)

As for the water, I'm a bit hesitant to fill it more as if the filter failed for whatever reason (power failure, etc, I live in the country so it happens every now and then), it would really in water flowing out of the tank. Since i rent, that would be really bad on the carpet lol.

How noisy most airpumps end up being depends on what type of surface you have sat them on. The cheaper and thinner the surface, the noisier the pump. A good solid wood stand - less noise. You can also sit them on a towel or something to reduce the vibration noise but don't clog any air vents it may have underneath.

Heater protectors are used by those with big boisterous fish that dislodge or break heaters, or sit on them all the time.