Gold Nugget Plec

newaqua

Morning Everyone

For some time now I have successfully been breeding Bristlenose plecs, and I was wanting to try something different.

I have been looking at the Gold Nugget Plec (L018, L085) for quite sometime as a potential breeding option (I originally wanted one whne I started my current tank 5 years ago, but could not afford it).

Does anyone have any advice, or suggestions?

I am also wondering where I can find a male and female. It is my understanding that alot of shops are often only given one type (M or F) by their suppliers/breeders.

The lists I've seen certainly don't offer an option on sex, and the size they're usually for sale at they aren't sexable anyway. There is one report of breeding on Planet Catfish, so it is possible if you're willing to devote enough time, tank space and money to it. You would be best to start off with a group of six-or-so young ones to grow out to breeding size (which will take a few years), talk to your LFS and you should be able to get a good deal for buying bulk.

It is a fairly ambitious jump from breeding bristlenose though, maybe you could try some other types like Hypancistrus Spp. that are a bit smaller, faster maturing and easier to breed than Bayancistrus.

I spoke with the guy that bred these.

The F1 offspring have also bred, just as an aside.

You need to grow them to 28cm minimum.

What was possibly not published was the fact that his female was killed during the first mating attempt as the fish collapsed the rock structure.

Luckily in Germany you can order a 28cm female, so the breeding adventure was able to continue.

If that happens in little ole NZ then you basically have to start again.

Barryancistrus are significantly difficult to breed.

Having said that, it's still good to have a challenge.

BUT, being able to succeed is also a great motivator, and you learn heaps as you go.

You learn how to read your fish.

Some like current across the mouth of the cave, some like it flowing over the mouth of the cave, some like it directly into the cave, some like it bouncing around, for example.

Some like slate caves, some wood, some PVC, some that molded plastic stuff.

Some like a rough inside, some like smooth, some like to make their own cave........

Ancistrus sp, Peckoltia sp, hypancistrus sp, panaqualos sp, Panaque sp, Baryancistrus sp is possibly a good list of easy to hard.......... (There are always exceptions of course)

Without trying to discourage you in any way at all, bristlenose are kind of like instant noodles, you just add water.

Baryancistrus are kind of like a 12 course meal with matching wine.

The P.maccus complex are a really cool little fish, and not too difficult to spawn, heaps of personality and you don't need a big tank, but you learn about messy types of fish.

There are some nice Peckoltia in NZ, and they are easy to sex and not that difficult either.

There are quite a number of Hypans in NZ as well that each have their own challenges, and can be done in 100-200 litre tanks.

Sometimes your choice is limited (in NZ) to being able to get both sex's of a fish type rather than deciding on the fish type first.

Redwoods gets some pretty cool stuff, so it may pay to see what they have access to.

Remember that the size of fish we get imported here, will mean that you may need to buy 8-10 fish and then wait a year to see if there are males and females........

I would go to redwoods and see what they have, see if they have any pairs or trios, and then just go for it.

Don't worry about what they are, just make sure they don't get bigger than 15cm.

I'm not saying don't do the nuggets, but do something else in the mean time while they grow.

I have heard of the big Barry's getting to breeding age in 2 years, but they were getting 2x water changes every day!

If you get a list of what you have access to then I (we) would be able to give you some better advice.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. Some good points here I had not thought about.

I think i will mull it over for a while, and see what I come up with.

Cheers

I spoke with the guy that bred these.

The F1 offspring have also bred, just as an aside.

You need to grow them to 28cm minimum.

What was possibly not published was the fact that his female was killed during the first mating attempt as the fish collapsed the rock structure.

Luckily in Germany you can order a 28cm female, so the breeding adventure was able to continue.

If that happens in little ole NZ then you basically have to start again.

Barryancistrus are significantly difficult to breed.

Having said that, it's still good to have a challenge.

BUT, being able to succeed is also a great motivator, and you learn heaps as you go.

You learn how to read your fish.

Some like current across the mouth of the cave, some like it flowing over the mouth of the cave, some like it directly into the cave, some like it bouncing around, for example.

Some like slate caves, some wood, some PVC, some that molded plastic stuff.

Some like a rough inside, some like smooth, some like to make their own cave........

Ancistrus sp, Peckoltia sp, hypancistrus sp, panaqualos sp, Panaque sp, Baryancistrus sp is possibly a good list of easy to hard.......... (There are always exceptions of course)

Without trying to discourage you in any way at all, bristlenose are kind of like instant noodles, you just add water.

Baryancistrus are kind of like a 12 course meal with matching wine.

The P.maccus complex are a really cool little fish, and not too difficult to spawn, heaps of personality and you don't need a big tank, but you learn about messy types of fish.

There are some nice Peckoltia in NZ, and they are easy to sex and not that difficult either.

There are quite a number of Hypans in NZ as well that each have their own challenges, and can be done in 100-200 litre tanks.

Sometimes your choice is limited (in NZ) to being able to get both sex's of a fish type rather than deciding on the fish type first.

Redwoods gets some pretty cool stuff, so it may pay to see what they have access to.

Remember that the size of fish we get imported here, will mean that you may need to buy 8-10 fish and then wait a year to see if there are males and females........

I would go to redwoods and see what they have, see if they have any pairs or trios, and then just go for it.

Don't worry about what they are, just make sure they don't get bigger than 15cm.

I'm not saying don't do the nuggets, but do something else in the mean time while they grow.

I have heard of the big Barry's getting to breeding age in 2 years, but they were getting 2x water changes every day!

If you get a list of what you have access to then I (we) would be able to give you some better advice.

Cheers

Great idea if you've got the money and tank space. Get a group of Nuggets growing out while you hone your breeding skills with other smaller species.

On the subject of growing out fish, I think Geoff is right that big water changes play a part, but based on what I've seen with all sorts of fish (catfish, cichlids, polypterus, arowana, loaches, etc) is that there is no real substitute for a big tank. Plenty of space, good water (not just nitrates, but correct hardness, temp, current etc), and good food are the key ingredients to growing out fish. Frequent water changes can help, especially in less than ideal circumstances, but I'd put money on it that my Panaques will be growing faster with an 8x4' footprint and weekly water changes than they would be with a 5x2' footprint and daily changes.

Great idea if you've got the money and tank space. Get a group of Nuggets growing out while you hone your breeding skills with other smaller species.

On the subject of growing out fish, I think Geoff is right that big water changes play a part, but based on what I've seen with all sorts of fish (catfish, cichlids, polypterus, arowana, loaches, etc) is that there is no real substitute for a big tank. Plenty of space, good water (not just nitrates, but correct hardness, temp, current etc), and good food are the key ingredients to growing out fish. Frequent water changes can help, especially in less than ideal circumstances, but I'd put money on it that my Panaques will be growing faster with an 8x4' footprint and weekly water changes than they would be with a 5x2' footprint and daily changes.

Good call on how to grow out fish.