Filter For 750 Litre Tank

Silverdollarboy2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tank is empty find someone competent with drilling glass and get it drilled IMO. Those HOB overflows do work, but always riskier than drilled, and not sure how quiet they are either.

With a small mod they can be completely silent (and I am VERY discerning when it comes to noises, trust me...):

ijEbN24l.jpg

Bottom pipe drains under full siphon so no noise, top pipe is emergency drain.

• 1 month later...

Depending on how you stock the tank (and from your posts you will have some med- large fish), I don't think that you will have enough filtering capacity with that design.

I am setting up a similar volume aquarium to yours and have built a 130 litre sump for it.

I can upload a pic if you like.

I would listen to people like David and get someone to drill the tank and make a sump, just my opinion.

Depending on how you stock the tank (and from your posts you will have some med- large fish), I don't think that you will have enough filtering capacity with that design.

I am setting up a similar volume aquarium to yours and have built a 130 litre sump for it.

I can upload a pic if you like.

I would listen to people like David and get someone to drill the tank and make a sump, just my opinion.

Thanks redracer,I would like a pic of your sump please.

IMAG0435.jpg

Not completely finished but you get the idea, water comes in, through 3 layers of poret, then polisher, then over baffle through bio noodles.(middle chamber where poret off cuts are now)

I have this setup in my basement with the tank on the other side of the wall, above left.

My tank is drilled with 3 drains and 1 return, all 25mm Hansen fittings.

That looks like a good set up, but I hope you've left room for the water to flow above the Poret if it clogs, overflowing sumps suck!

How many LPH is the pump? The return line looks pretty thin.

I think I have enough room, the water line is about 4cm below the top in the mech area, then have about 40-50l of space to take the excess when the pump is off. I also considered drilling an overflow at the top for potential overflows or overfills.

The return is 25mm, pump is 6500lph but with head height and probably fit a ball valve will have about 3500 - 4000 lph

I think I have enough room, the water line is about 4cm below the top in the mech area, then have about 40-50l of space to take the excess when the pump is off. I also considered drilling an overflow at the top for potential overflows or overfills.

That sounds good, but what I was wondering is if the height of the Poret is lower than the edge of the sump, so that if the foam completely block up the water will just flow over into the next chamber. You probably want the Poret 3-4cm below the rim of the tank so it won't overflow if the foam completely blocks up.