Advice on natives in Rotorua

Hi all

New face here so go easy :bggrn:

After setting up my second tropical tank I have become mildly obsessed with the idea of setting up a native tank.

My plan is to do a biotype of the Rotorua area, but I have found that information on species and populations present in the area pretty slim. I have been out for a couple of spotlighting missions in local streams with low/no trout populations but have been unable to identify any of the fish I have seen (my stalking and netting game is severly lacking).

I am a while away from even beginning to set up the tank, as I really want to ascertain what species are in the area with a healthy population. The only thing I have on the definate list is Koura, I will be taking these from Lake Tarawera (with Iwi consent of course). I suspect I have seen Banded Kokopu in the Puarenga Stream, but I know it is unlikely that I will be keeping these as I gather they do not have vey established population in the region. I will keep exploring streams in the area and hopefully get some positive ID's

So this is where I hope you guys can help :D

I would love to hear from anyone who has explored the area, or knows what species would be ethical to capture and keep in an aquarium. My next plan is to head out to lake Okataina and explore some of the tributaries. I will be taking photos if I manage to catch anything and will post them up here if anyone is interested.

Long winded post but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Shaun.

Before I start I need to confess that the only thing I know about natives is that once caught you can not release them, not even back where they came from.

Have you looked at this link http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?page_id=212 - its on this website. Gives a little information about various natives.

There are several very knowledgeable people on here, hopefully one will check in soon :)

Thanks for the replies, Yeh I've checked out that page a lot, along with pretty much every other forum thread that Stella has contributed to. There's a lot of awesome info out there but it's just stuff that's region specific that is hard to come buy. I have been toying with the idea of collecting the less established fish in the region from other areas where their stocks are much healthier, not strictly a regional biotype though...

In regard to the no releasing after catching, do you mean that if I net a fish to photo and ID it, that I then cannot put it back in the waterway even if I have not handled it? I will be using a catch and release specific net. I have seen threads on spotlighting here where photos show the fish in someone's hand, I assume it is then being released after that. I will make a point of researching the legalities more as I am definitely going to be doing everything by the book.

And cheers binu, definitely excited to see what I can find around Okataina

That I can't answer sorry. I guess if you used one net per waterway things would be pretty safe but I really don't know.

I think its more aimed at those who catch a fish on a whim, take it home then either decide they don't want it so let it go in the nearest stream or pop it in a tank set up then release it. That then sets up the risk of contamination from other waterways or tanks getting into streams.

It's the same reason that one shouldn't dispose of their fish tank water where it will get into waterways.

RE: catch and release -

Most of the rules are set up out of concern for the introduced sports fish :roll: so catching and then releasing back into the same waterway is fine (think a trout fisherman catching a trout, posing for photos and then releasing). But you cannot transfer the fish to another natural waterway, or put it back where you got it from if you have held it in a tank or pond. Basically if there is a risk what you are doing might introduce something new (disease, etc) to the waterway you can’t do it.

If you clean your nets and dry them out completely before fishing in a new waterway you will avoid any potential contamination or transfer that way too :)

I’m not too sure what you will find in you area, but always keen to help ID anything you might find :)

• 3 weeks later...