Some pics of my fish

hypno

Nice pics! cool patterning on that Koura

Not too sure on the IDs, but they don't look like quite like commons to me - normaly would expect some hint of 'whiskers' on the cheeks - so they could all be uplands, depending on your location? Mind you that second one looks like it only has 6 dorsal spines, which would indicate it might be a giant... normaly wouldn't get giants and uplands together though haha!

some info about your location and where you caught them might help in identifying, I can check in my book when I get home and see if I can narrow it down a bit more.

They have all come from the same section of the Halswell river around 10km upstream from where the river meets lake Ellesmere. The last darker colored bully has an orange band on its dorsal which makes think it is an upland bully.

thanks for the help, i have only just got interested in natives and love exploring the streams around my area. I have a bunch of tiny clams in the tank also, the other night the Koura stepped into one and it clamped down on its hind leg and he was dragging it around for hours, gave me a good laugh.

Ok, cool - looking at your area on the NIWA freshwater database, there are common and uplands recorded in the Halswell River - so your guesses are defiantly in the right ball park!

One way to narrow down which you have could be to count the first dorsal spines - the commons normally have 7 (may have 8 though) and the uplands have 6 (although they can sometimes have 5 or 7)

The commons will also have pores on their heads, whereas the uplands won’t - but that would be harder to check. (This info is coming from Stella McQueen's latest book - she is a member on here so might be able to positively identify them for you.)

With that in mind I would say that your fish are as follows:

1. Female Upland (could be a male common, but the spotting nature of the patterning, particularly on the lips makes me think upland)

2. Female upland (6 dorsal spines)

3. Male upland (as you said it has an orange stripe on the dorsal - can’t quite tell in the photo. Males are normaly darker paterned in my experience also)

So a real nice group if I'm right :) might get some breeding!

Streams are so much fun to go poking around in , never know what you are going to see :)

Not sure what the clams are? Surprised the Koura didn’t try and make a snack out of it! We have freshwater mussels in NZ, but they are normally a reasonable size, so not sure what you have. Got a pic?

hmm, I haven’t seen anything like that before... doesn’t look like our native ones - normally black and much bigger.

could be a juvenile one though:

echyridella_ebop_27_17111_awakaponga_11xmontage_b_650.jpg

although it looked a bit rounder in shape?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...