New 4ft Mbuna tank setup with photos

Bananalobster

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the kind words :)

Just a quick update, have my first fish holding, a demasoni. No problems with aggression as yet, honestly didn't expect to have any babies so soon, she must be only about 4 cms.

Anyone have much experience with the Trewavasae? What I thought was a blotchy brown female is most deffinitely the boss of all the others, including one of the larger males (blue and orange coming through). Is this normal for the females to call the shots?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Still have the brown algae, but it's not too bad I guess. Had a trewavasae female holding for a couple of days but she must have spat them early. I have 3 holding demasoni now though. Just debating on whether I take half the tank apart to strip the female that's been holding for 2 weeks + or not =\

• 2 months later...

Bit of an update: Well....I had some holding fish so I decided to strip 2 little holding demasonis. I now have 13 of them just over 1cm long, and was given 15 tiny just stripped electric yellows at the same time to grow out too.

I am going to take half the tank down again because I have another 5 demasoni holding aswell as 1 electric yellow. These things really do breed like rabbits lol.

Anyway here are some photos.

dJoHdGH.jpg?1

y31XUe2.jpg

jJ0QDsx.jpg?1

IAscTly.jpg

v0BnrId.jpg?1

ueZlHck.jpg?1

CChWAlc.jpg?1

pofiqSR.jpg

Thanks! I could use a real camera, my phone one really sucks but it gives you an idea of how it's setup. I took half the tank apart and two demasoni were still holding eggs but I've got about ten more yellows and 20 dems.. That makes roughly 60 to grow out.

One mistake I made with the nautilus is I put it together with no Vaseline on the seals. I have never come across a filter so hard to open!!! When my husband finally managed to open it I used a third of a tub of Vaseline on all the seals. I know it worked because it fit perfectly back on when normally it's a nightmare.

I have three extra male trewavasae I would like to get rid of (if anyone want them free of charge let me know). In saying that even at their size now there is minimal chasing and fights, even with the girls which have held twice.. But I don't want to wake up to a dead fish because I got too complacent. I have no more tank room for babies so I will just have to let the fish spit in the tank for a couple months, not that I mind too much, trying to strip a 6cm demasoni for your first try isn't the easiest lol!!!

I'm at that point too. I got lucky in catching one of my holding rusty females, and got about 18 from her, and another one is holding,but I don't want to take the chance of squishing someone while pulling the tank apart, just to catch one fish. I'll just keep the numbers down by catching them when they're decent size, so I don't need to try get specific fish.