HELP: Need colonised filter media

Kinbote

Long story short, the positive bacteria population in my 800 litre tank collapsed a couple of months back for unknown reasons; everything had been fine since setting up 2 - 3 years ago. So far, all attempts to restart the cycle have failed, and I'm spending a fortune on Ammolock to keep the fish safe.

So my request: is there anyone in the West Auckland (or wider) area who has a few colonised bio-balls or bio-noodles they'd be willing to spare? Would be an enormous help to me and the fish.

TIA

I suspect the Ammolock is giving you false readings. It is my understanding the Ammolock binds the ammonia so it is less harmful, it does not actually get rid of it so it will still show on your test readings.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I suspect the Ammolock is giving you false readings. It is my understanding the Ammolock binds the ammonia so it is less harmful, it does not actually get rid of it so it will still show on your test readings.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Sounds about right to me, ammolock doesn't remove ammonia, it just turns it into less toxic ammonium. Ammonia tests read both.

Do 2-3 big water changes, 75%+ or so. I suspect you've been putting in ammolock to treat a high concentration of ammolock. You're almost always better off doing a water change than adding more chemicals.

Yeah Ammolock converts ammonia to ammonium so it still registers, but I say it's not cycling because ammonia/ammonium levels are continuing to rise, and I'm seeing zero nitrites. I've been doing ~80% water changes (almost) every 2 days (sometimes repeated two or three times) for the past couple of months, and also various other things that were suggested, all to no effect.

I live in Beachlands, which is a bit far away from west auckland, but if you need it I can trade some out of my tank if you can't find anyone closer. You may also want to try on the "new Zealand fish keepers" Facebook page, there are a number of Aucklanders on there who could help, some of whom might be easier to get to.

I am in west Auckland, I don't have many tanks running though..

I would stop using all those chemicals and do water changes. If those products are converting the ammonia to something then your tank won't cycle at all. Your tank has been running for a long time so even though you have somehow killed most of your bacteria there will still be some there and if you let the tank cycle again you should be fine.