internal filters

nudge

After an internal filter for my little girls 100L goldfish tank ( hoping to swap it to a tropical tetra tank in the not to distant future), anyone have any recommendations, something fairly quiet and I'm not after a top of the line like a fluval , just a middle of the road filter like an aqua one or sunsun i guess?

100L is kind of pushing it for internals imo, especially with big bioloaders like goldfish.

Eheim 2010 or 2012 are quite large and ugly but good filtering capacity and VERY quiet (sometimes need to mod the shaft slightly to raise impeller).

It's a 100l tank but its not full prob more like 80-90l with a single goldfish that is 4cm and hopefully i can get her to rehome him soon as I'm trying to drum into her that goldfish don't like little tanks and need to be in a pond.

So.....will look at turning it into a little tetra tropical tank, surely there is an internal filter that will be suitable, anyone use any of the aquaone or sunsun internals before.....

Like I said, Eheim 2010 or 2012 will suit that size.

Not sure about Sunsun internal filters, but I know their external filters are good quality and flow, so their internals will probably be ok.

Two of these should be OK if you're trying to go as cheap as possible: http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/pumps-filters/auction-724102374.htm. I've found you get what you pay for, though.

Aqua One put out very poor flow rate.

Don't bother with Hailea internal filters, they are absolute junk.

I think at that size you are better off with two internal filters rather than one, aimed at different directions, to get good varied circulation.

Ive found aquaone pretty poor too.

I have a tank maid (blue planet) in my community tank at the moment. I think i paid $38 and it has been great. Only thing i replaced is the carbon it comes with with a little bit of filter wool.

Added the optional air line to the outlet and it pumps out a fine stream of bubbles as well - makes it really easy to see when flow starts to be affected because the bubbles stop. Its how I know when to clean it. :D

Mines rated for 70L but i have it in my 140L and there have been no issues with regards to water quality. It is a planted tank though so maybe that has something to do with it. I intend to get another one soon simply so that if one fails...

Ive found aquaone pretty poor too.

Huh, I'm a fan of their canisters, I'd have thought their internals would be ok too. I'd probably just put a CF1200 on the tank. Should keep the tank nice and clean, and they're cheap, $150ish if you look hard enough, I think.

I have had many aqua one cannister filters and have never had a problem with them but don't rate the internals quite as much. Goldfish are really messy, imo an undergravel filter combined with good vacuuming and regular water changes or an external canister would work best.

I have aqua one canister filters on my troph tank and I really rate them its not as good as my fx5 but for the money they are great.

Trying to keep the cost down as its my little girls tank and cant really afford to shell out heaps for a filtef if a couple of months down the track she loses interest. Missus will not be happy. Just after a cheapy that does a reasonable job. I will do an extra wc and vac to keep on top of the water quality.

If it's only for 1 little goldfish you don't have to drive yourself crazy about the filtration. Any small internal filter will do or even an airstone in the tank provided you do at least 1 30percent waterchage a week.

Ron

+1 it should be all good, I would chuck an airstone and a box filter or just an internal power filter it will be fine.

Yeah thats what i figured, Think i will try one of the sunsuns it will be a bit quieter than the box filter. I have an airstone running at the moment and its pretty noisy. Cheers for the info guys.

So.....will look at turning it into a little tetra tropical tank, surely there is an internal filter that will be suitable, anyone use any of the aquaone or sunsun internals before.....

So you keeping the 1 goldfish or going for a tetra tank? Tetras way cooler imo.

Yeah i agree, not my call though she's pretty chuffed with bubbles but i will try and sway her with a few pics of some tropicals. What could i stock in there? it's 730Lx380Wx380H. Was thinking some cardinals or rummy nose what else could i put in and how many.

Goldfish just dont do it for me.

Kids like goldfish because they are bright colours and a decent size to look at. Boring little plain coloured tropicals won't do it. Perhaps if you offered to put pink substrate in and a rainbow or a fairy princess castle you might get her interested in wee fish.

Yes, I am being serious.

Yeah i agree, not my call though she's pretty chuffed with bubbles but i will try and sway her with a few pics of some tropicals. What could i stock in there? it's 730Lx380Wx380H. Was thinking some cardinals or rummy nose what else could i put in and how many.

Goldfish just dont do it for me.

105L, you could probably go 25-30 standard sized 1.5" tetras depending on quality of filtration and regularity of water changes, ie 10 neons/cardinal, 10 rummy, maybe some cochu blue or glass bloodfins, and a couple bigger ones.

A dwarf neon gourami OR female betta would be a good addition, could put in a couple bolivian/blue rams. Pleco or otocinclus/siamese algae eater for algae control.

A few corydoras (they like 4+)

You could also go the way of some live bearers, like mollies or swordtails for color.