Low Tech Low Light Plants for 55L WCMM Tank

TmanNZ

Im back!

I have decided to try plants out for the first time, I am planning to stock a tank with WCMM so I would like plants that offer areas for spawning but also tall long plants for them to dart in and out of, I am also planning on using some duckweed for cover but I will not do this if plants below require adequate lighting.

The 3 plants I have thought of are:

Java or Xmas Moss

Anubias

and Java Fern

I also like the look of Amazon Sword and various crypts look nice but not sure of requirements.

The substrate I am using is washed river sand and I do not really want to use ferts but I'll buy some if I have too, I have got $30 - $40 to spend on plants and the same amount on fish and food.

Thanks!

For a long plant, go with cyperus helferi. I literally got two decent sized plants for my WCMM tank this morning, and they look gorgeous spreading out from the corner, and works nice as a cover too. Totally my new favourite plant. Java fern and anubias are good, but I've found them both to be really slow growing. They do look nice though. My plants are all placed one side and make like a jungle area, with the rest of the tank open water for them to get their chase on.

I've never tried crypts, and I'm experimenting with an amazon sword at the moment. My other plants are stargrass, all three types of java fern, anubias, and a bundle of pennywort, which the minnows like pushing themselves in to.

Sorry for the ugly picture, my phone's camera is terrible.

2014-04-19131411.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been searching for some cyperus helferi and Haven't found in luck local to me, about to post a WTB in the private trade and exchange now. I am going to use your tank as a bit of inspiration with the plants as you have a very nice aquarium. I am going to start a log once I get the first plants but with school tomorrow, may not be for a few weeks and I am also currently modifying and painting a drift trike as one of my other hobbies.