nz inverts for sale in uk

chopper

Check out this web page, they are selling nz peripitus, wetas, tunnel webs and nz mantis ( mantis on another page on same website) http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/other-inve ... -sale.html

Are these being smuggled out or were these exported many years ago so there are now breeding populations overseas available for sale? I am unsure ? I was also digging around on overseas reptile and invert forums and one member claimed he was able to obtain more nz peripitus. Not sure if that meant he was breeding them or smuggling them. Other websites have had hem for sale to. I emailed maf and doc but waiting for reply

Maf got back onto me. There is nothing to stop nz inverts from being sent overseas legally. Only those classed as protected are illegal to export and there are a few other exceptions. They gave me several examples of stopping people at the border leaving with sometimes hundreds of live specimens but had no power to seize them or hold the person in question. Also found numerous bugs in post but had to let them through. So long as they are caught by permission on private land there is nothing stopping them. I guess some may be caught in national parks which is illegal but its hard to prove they were caught there.

When geckos are detected at the border they cannot be returned because of mixing up genetics or introducing diseases. The Dunedin ones were returned because a guy had done a PhD on them and had pictures of the individuals and GPS locations for the bush each had come from. Even so one later turned up for sale in Belgium (smuggled again). It was only possible because of the unique patterns they have. The guy who did the research was able to identify which bush it had come from. No such luck with insects