New Cichlids Tank

edhotmail@hotmail.com

Hi All, I have just started my first Cichlids tank.

The tank is a Jebo R760 , 62 Litres tank. I have upgrade the factory fluorescent lighting.

There are two settings, I use the 10000K white LED during the day and the Actinic Blue 460nm LED during the night.

4x Demasoni

5x Electric Yellow

5x Ice Blue

I am posting images for the first time, so I hope this works!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120695012@N04/13234136404/lightbox/

Hey there mate, looking good. Only thing I want to point out is 62ltrs is no way near large enough long term for any of those cichlids. It will be ok short term while you either plan an upgrade or think about selling/trading them for stock more suited to that tank size.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will need a 4ft tank at least to house your cichlids long term. Demasoni are hyper aggressive and need to be in groups of 20 not 4 to spread out the aggression.Think ice blues get pretty nasty to. 62liters isn't gonna cut it. Have a look in the "cichlid" section on here, heaps of good info.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will need a 4ft tank at least to house your cichlids long term. Demasoni are hyper aggressive and need to be in groups of 20 not 4 to spread out the aggression.Think ice blues get pretty nasty to. 62liters isn't gonna cut it. Have a look in the "cichlid" section on here, heaps of good info.

Not bad news~ Means I am looking forward to getting myself a bigger tank!

I already have a empty 120 Litre tank on standby!

Have just cleared out the garage , so have lots of room for more tanks.

Yep so to reiterate what others have said, the demasoni and electric yellows like to be in groups.

The demasoni get aggressive within their own species, so to spread out the aggression you need 10+.

Electric yellows are social fish and prefer to be in groups, this is more for a health thing than anything else.

I've not had aggression from my electric blues, but YMMV.

You will indeed need a 4 foot tank minimum for those fish (provided you provide the appropriate sized schools).

I wouldn't even keep them in your 60L tank for any more time than you have to. Please move them into your 120L tank asap, and look to either sell the Demasoni or upgrade to at least a 3 foot tank within 6 months. There are a lot of more mild african cichlids you can look at to replace the Demasoni.

You'll also need wicked filtration for cichlids, expect to spend $400+ on this.

You have the right idea with the rocks, cichlids like TONS of hiding spots and caves. I might recommend using dead coral rock (around $15/kg from fish shops) as this will help buffer the pH to around 8 (which africans prefer).

I think he's got ice blues not electric blues. Ice blues are an mbuna and electric blues are haps. The dems get to around the 10cm mark, ice blues about 14cm electric yellows around the 12cm mark approximately. How big are these fish now? Even a 120 litre tank is small. The dimensions of the tank are more important than the volume of the tank.

I think he's got ice blues not electric blues. Ice blues are an mbuna and electric blues are haps. The dems get to around the 10cm mark, ice blues about 14cm electric yellows around the 12cm mark approximately. How big are these fish now? Even a 120 litre tank is small. The dimensions of the tank are more important than the volume of the tank.

Yeah sorry I did indeed mean ice blues and not electric blues, it was a typo on my behalf. I've had ice blues and not noticed aggression, is what I meant.

His photos show the fish as small juveniles, can't be more than 2cm.

They are juveniles, 2cm-4cm in size still very tiny. I have only ever had guppies and sword tails so have no idea how large these are going to get. I am prepared for it, will be looking for a 4-6 foot tank by then. Tempting to get more to resolve their aggressive territory nature, but will like for these fellas to get a bigger before I cross that bridge.

They are juveniles, 2cm-4cm in size still very tiny. I have only ever had guppies and sword tails so have no idea how large these are going to get. I am prepared for it, will be looking for a 4-6 foot tank by then. Tempting to get more to resolve their aggressive territory nature, but will like for these fellas to get a bigger before I cross that bridge.

You'll probably want to move them into the 120L in the next 2-3 months. Then probably into something in the 400+L(4-6 foot) range in a year or so.