Possible dropsy help - URGENT

alexyay

I have two thicklipped gourami in a 55L filled 2/3 of the way, been doing water changes every second day (50%) but had the female and male separated and am using a small sponge filter. This means that his side was most likely a dead spot. But he looks to have swelling in his abdomen and *minor* pineconing (looks like they're raised but not to the extent of pineconing). I'm hoping that if I act now I can save him.

He was eating earlier today but is now looking lethargic.

Should I remove the female? Or will she likely transfer something into my main tank? Should I treat them both together even though she's looking OK?

Should I be treating with Epsom salt or Tonic salt?

I will try Melafix too. And will be changing 50% of the water tomorrow, the same the day after. They have currently been on a diet of white worms and bloodworms in attempt to condition them for breeding.

its sad but sorry to say dropsy cant be cured ..i lost my best ever fighters for dropsy ..also it can spread so pls treat ur other fish before adding to the other tank..

pinecone is the last stage so its better to just kill that fish so that it wont av to suffer a lot

Dropsy is a sign of fluid retention from kidney problems. What ever is causing the kidney problems has to be cured to cure the water retention and it can be very hard to determine what that cause is. Magnesium sulphate may reduce the swelling but will not fix the cause. I always feel it is best to just put them out of their misery.

Do you think a blockage could be the cause? I just know that a diet of white worms can cause constipation & I read that it could cause constipation if i did a cold water change shortly after (which I did)? All of his swelling is in his abdomen. Do you think it's worth treating him for bloat? (The Epsom salts may help with that too)

Get a blackworm (lumbriculus) culture going and feed that to condition them.

Ah, okay! (well, I have to grow out a male now once I find him, but yeah) I wasn't able to source one so I went for white worms instead, I'll have to post asking for a blackworm culture. Would you say they're less likely to be bloated on that? Though I found my female hadn't developed the "eggs" that I wanted her to. But she was definitely ready for breeding - she was very upset when he didn't respond to her lol.