Totara's First Tank Diary

Totara

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I just wanted to check, how often should I feed my Bristlenose a algae wafer? And when am I safe to add another fish, I was thinking a school of Neon Tetras next...

Thanks,

Will

Definitely don't add any more fish until the tank is cycled - otherwise the ammonia build up will probably just get to too much.

While it's cycling I suggest you don't feed him too much to keep the ammonia levels low. I feed mine wafers daily. One should do him.

Definitely don't add any more fish until the tank is cycled - otherwise the ammonia build up will probably just get to too much.

While it's cycling I suggest you don't feed him too much to keep the ammonia levels low. I feed mine wafers daily. One should do him.

Do you mean 1 a day? The wafers are almost as big as him... And how do I know when the tank is cycled? I was planning on waiting a week.

Will

Do you mean 1 a day? The wafers are almost as big as him... And how do I know when the tank is cycled? I was planning on waiting a week.

Will

Do you have a test kit?

Tank will be cycled when the readings show:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 5+

This can take between one and four weeks. I think my last cycle took 3 weeks.

Learning the cycling process really is essential for any fishkeeper D:

For the wafers, I mean one a day yes. Split it into maybe quarters - if you put in too much it'll foul the water even further. Feed him once and see how long it takes for him to eat it - I'd say if he doesn't eat it in under 8 hours it's too much, so split it further the next time you feed.

Do you have a test kit?

Tank will be cycled when the readings show:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 5+

This can take between one and four weeks. I think my last cycle took 3 weeks.

Learning the cycling process really is essential for any fishkeeper D:

For the wafers, I mean one a day yes. Split it into maybe quarters - if you put in too much it'll foul the water even further. Feed him once and see how long it takes for him to eat it - I'd say if he doesn't eat it in under 8 hours it's too much, so split it further the next time you feed.

Yeah I have a test kit. I tested ammonia yesterday, 0.25 ppm. So when I see those results then I am safe to add some more fish? And if so, are Neon Tetras safe to put in?

Thanks,

Will

Yeah I have a test kit. I tested ammonia yesterday, 0.25 ppm. So when I see those results then I am safe to add some more fish? And if so, are Neon Tetras safe to put in?

Thanks,

Will

Yes - when you see the 0, 0, 5+ you will be safe to put the tetras in - just do a nice water change first. Another idea might be to put 2-4 in at a time and do them in batches once every 3+ days so that you don't shock the bio system too much.

Ok thanks for that. I now have another question, my Bristlenose seems to be moving around a lot. Normally I think they usually stay attached to a single spot, and only move to feed. He also hasnt touched the food I have placed in the tank about an hour or so ago. I think he may be eating the slime coat that the Prime provides. Am I right? Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Will

Ok thanks for that. I now have another question, my Bristlenose seems to be moving around a lot. Normally I think they usually stay attached to a single spot, and only move to feed. He also hasnt touched the food I have placed in the tank about an hour or so ago. I think he may be eating the slime coat that the Prime provides. Am I right? Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Will

Prime only helps fish produce slime coat so I don't think he can be eating that. I find my BNs are fairly active. I also find that fish like plecos and loaches can be very active in the first few days looking for their ideal territory and hiding spot. I presume there is a spot that he can go to where he can't be seen? When young mine are pretty outgoing but as they get older they like to hide away.

For food: some can be picky - what are you feeding him? He's probably just settling in still - I usually let fish settle in for 1-2 days before I feed them :)

My two bristlenoses never stop moving. I also do not and have not feed them since I got them about three months ago. They live happily with their 20 or so tiger barbs and a gold ram. Really spread out your hair grass into tiny clumps as many as you can make. Also consider a reflector for that light of yours.

I've been trying to feed him TetraVeggie algae wafers. There is a nice little cave he can stay in, and there is some crevices he can squeeze into. So should I hold of feeding him again until wednesday?

Will

I honestly don't know anything about TetraVeggie - but the brands that I am often recommended are JBL and Hikari for all kinds of fish food including vege food :) I'd say hold off until Tuesday, just to give him some time to settle in. Then feed a portion of your food and see how long it takes for him to eat it, upping it from there if it's not enough for him.

Hi all,

I removed the other non-aquatic plants - the Japanese Rush because I was told it would rot, and the brush think because it was getting onto the filter. A friend of mine (Very much thanks to him) Gave me some Anubias, which I have added. I have rearranged all the plants and there is space for just one more. I am trying to find something that has interesting foliage for that spot. Pic coming soon

Will

Anubias are super easy plants as long as the roots aren't covered, but they're pretty slow growing. If you get a few stem plants in the back, they'd be good for keeping the algae away.

If you're going for interesting plants, I recently picked up some beetroot rubra (Alternanthera Roseacefolia) stems and the roots have just gone crazy, even without proper Co2. It's a wonderfully coloured plant, and contrasts beautifully against other green plants. There's a guy on TM that sells it for super cheap.

Hi guys,

Need some advice here. I am looking at adding some more fish into the tank. I was looking at getting a pair of Golden Honey Dwarf Gourami. Is it good to keep them in pairs? And will they fit in with my current fish?

Will

Please don't. Was your tank seeded from someone's else tank for the filter? If not can you just confirm that you have done tests which have detected both ammonia and nitrite because if not then the tank hasn't cycled. It can take a week or more to start, and I'm just worried that this ain't done yet. If it was seeded or you have gone through all of the above then please ignore me and good luck with the next fish

Dwarf gouramis are generally quite peaceful and are fine with your current fish.

However, two males can fight for territory in such a small tank, and a male/female pair can get aggressive when spawning. Two females are fine, although typically fish shops sell only males.

Also they can attack other fish with long colorful fins, such as bettas or guppies.

Also a more heavily planted tank is preferred by them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have re-done the aquascape and would love some feedback on it. I got the driftwood last night at the TAC meeting (Thanks Glen!) And put it in today. I want to get some plant to fill it up a bit more, because I dont think its heavily planted enough for the Gourami atm. I also was thinking of getting a ghost glass catfish, will it be ok in this tank? At the moment I have 10 Neon Tetras, a male and female Gourami and a bristlenose

10250309_316615901818742_5009537447725365940_n_zpsbb3f86ab.jpg

Thanks,

Will

No doubt 30 neons could fit in that tank, I once had 80 long fin mountain minnows in the same size tank and they were happy. With smaller fish, social fish like neons, putting larger numbers in smaller tanks isn't an issue so long as you keep on top of the water quality. 50% weekly water changes should do.