Tropheus bloat.

camtang

I lost a T a couple days ago, didn't think much of it as it had been beaten a bit and just thought bugger, these things happen.

Today I noticed two more hiding up the top corner gasping for air. I have just decided to take the worse one out as it had the kick stand out.

I did a 50% WC yeaterday and am doing another one now. Water levels are where it needs to be.

Does this sound like bloat or something else?

All other fish seem 100% fine.

Could be. If so its normally caused by the wrong sort of food being fed. Have you checked your tank temperature?

Food is NLS, for the cichlids and novo plec and a mix of novo tab, massivore and samon food ( used sparingly because of the T and Panaques).

A decision has been made too start seperating fish by food requirments in the near future.

Temp is at 24.5 taking into account it just went through a 50% WC

I can't do anything now as nothing is open and I do not have any meds to treat it, otherwise I would.

The best I can do at this point is a water change and adding of some epsom salt both of which I have done.

Unless you have any ideas that I can do now? I am open to suggestions

About 8 foot, 17 moliro, sump with 10,000LPH pump, 25-27, heaps of different territories for all of the fish, PH unsure.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62583&hilit=tang+and+pleco

Have added more rock, slate and wood since last photos.

Havn't really noticed any poo, its pretty hard to work out what is what with the plec poo as well.

i suggest you loose the wood and stop feeding anything other than NLS and JBL novorift.

wouldn't the wood be moving the water parameters away from what the trophs need? what is your water source? town supply, concrete tank or plastic tank? I think you should know what your ph is, especially if your having troph health issues.

secondly re-arrange your tank. you need to create separate areas in the tank, not one big mass of structure. I also used to have a similar setup and once i separated it into two separate rock piles at either end the aggression almost instantly reduced and the fish had their own areas to exist. the females have the same type of pecking orders as the males so territories are also fought for by them.

i suggest you loose the wood and stop feeding anything other than NLS and JBL novorift.

wouldn't the wood be moving the water parameters away from what the trophs need? what is your water source? town supply, concrete tank or plastic tank? I think you should know what your ph is, especially if your having troph health issues.

secondly re-arrange your tank. you need to create separate areas in the tank, not one big mass of structure. I also used to have a similar setup and once i separated it into two separate rock piles at either end the aggression almost instantly reduced and the fish had their own areas to exist. the females have the same type of pecking orders as the males so territories are also fought for by them.

:gopo:

There is coral in the sump to counter and balance, town supply last time I checked PH it was in the high 7's. I can't remove the wood with the pecs in there. There is very little aggression within the tank, some but not much. I feel I can not minimise it as when I did it went the other way and there was more aggression. Also with the amount of fish in there I think it needs all the extra rock and wood work.

if you don't deal with this well you are very likely to lose all the trophs if it is bloat. It has happened a few times that i have heard of but i have never lost a single fish to bloat in 6 or more years of keeping them.

I have a 400L, 2.0m tank. I have around 35 tropheus, 8 leleupi, 5 shellies and 3 altos. You don't need to fill the tank up with stuff, i have a minimal amount and it works so much better than a tank full of crap.

i think you need to decide which fish you want in your tank and set it up just for them but i can't see it working long term with wood and plecs in there.

here's my tank. pic taken just now, it's not sparkling as i hadn't planned a photo shoot.

P1080004_zps7e04ee3a.jpg

There is coral in the sump to counter and balance, town supply last time I checked PH it was in the high 7's. I can't remove the wood with the pecs in there. There is very little aggression within the tank, some but not much. I feel I can not minimise it as when I did it went the other way and there was more aggression. Also with the amount of fish in there I think it needs all the extra rock and wood work.

you need to check the ph of the tank, i have coral and shells in my tank along with arogonite substrate and i have no wood.

when you say "the amount of fish in there" what numbers are we talking, 17 trophs? that isn't many for that sized tank at all. if you create separate areas i think you'll find they are far better off.

here's a vid to give you a better idea of what works for me

I am planning on dealing with this correctly, but there is nothing I can do at 10.30 pm.

As for the tank set up, I previously mentioned that I was going to rehome fish dependent on what they eat. Sadly I can not do this until my mate gets his fish out of my tank. So far a "couple of months" has been close to a year.

up to you. if it's bloat by the end of the week you'll see a lot more deaths, if not then i'd think it was harassment that caused the deaths but that will only get worse as the numbers reduce.

i would remove most of the wood now and stop feeding for a couple days. have a hunt around to see if any decaying fish are hiding in the tank.

good luck.

up to you. if it's bloat by the end of the week you'll see a lot more deaths, if not then i'd think it was harassment that caused the deaths but that will only get worse as the numbers reduce.

i would remove most of the wood now and stop feeding for a couple days. have a hunt around to see if any decaying fish are hiding in the tank.

good luck.

Have you not actually read anything that I have written?

A. I am going to the VET tomorrow for medication to try and treat the Bloat

B. I can NOT remove the wood from the tank due to some of the plecs.

C. I AM planning on rehoming things when I can, but currently I can not.

I very much appreicate your advice and your opinion on this, but sometimes I wonder.

when you say "the amount of fish in there" what numbers are we talking, 17 trophs? that isn't many for that sized tank at all. if you create separate areas i think you'll find they are far better off.

10 Fronts, 17 tropheus, 7 leleupi, 7 juli's, 4 altos, 15 cuckoos and about 20 different plecs. So I still feel that I need to have a decent amount of rock work, cave work and wood work in the the tank the time being, until I can get my other tank free.

The fish that you have mixed have different requirements so it was always going to be hard to manage. Lets not worry about what has been done and try sort this out.

Are you able to move the tropheus to a smaller tank to treat? Asking this for two reasons – save on the amount of medication and decrease the amount of stress for the other fish.

What is your plan of attack with metro? There are some methods that work and others that wont. I am guessing that you have already done a large waterchange?

I don't have a big enough tank to treat all tropheus in a tank to them selves. I can treat individually with the tanks I have for emergencys but not for groups. So I will be treating in the main tank.

I was planning on making a paste and soaking the food in it and feeding it out too the tank for a few days.

Have you not actually read anything that I have written?

A. I am going to the VET tomorrow for medication to try and treat the Bloat

B. I can NOT remove the wood from the tank due to some of the plecs.

C. I AM planning on rehoming things when I can, but currently I can not.

I very much appreicate your advice and your opinion on this, but sometimes I wonder.

10 Fronts, 17 tropheus, 7 leleupi, 7 juli's, 4 altos, 15 cuckoos and about 20 different plecs. So I still feel that I need to have a decent amount of rock work, cave work and wood work in the the tank the time being, until I can get my other tank free.

bloat spreads very quickly, in 12 hours it can effect many more of your colony but what ever, do what you like.

you've set up completely wrong for trophs and the result may well be that you lose the lot and that will be your own fault. I won't be offering you any more advice from now, it's a waste of time.

now your planning on feeding them.... have you actually read any thing i have written?? :facepalm: :rolfl: