Canister filtration flow rates ?

Morpheous

Just got given a 430 L tank, Aqua One CF 2200 canister filter, air pump, and a couple of fluro lights from a workmate who has had enough of fish keeping.

I haven't had a decent size tank set up for a few years now and was wondering what is the general rule of thumb for canister filtration ? I have the Aqua one CF 2200 ( 2200 litres per hour ) and also a Aqua One CF 1200 (1200 litres per hour ) from my old tank, will this be enough filtration for my 450 L tank ? 0r will the CF 2200 be sufficient on its own ? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Glen

Just got given a 430 L tank, Aqua One CF 2200 canister filter, air pump, and a couple of fluro lights from a workmate who has had enough of fish keeping.

I haven't had a decent size tank set up for a few years now and was wondering what is the general rule of thumb for canister filtration ? I have the Aqua one CF 2200 ( 2200 litres per hour ) and also a Aqua One CF 1200 (1200 litres per hour ) from my old tank, will this be enough filtration for my 450 L tank ? 0r will the CF 2200 be sufficient on its own ? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Glen

Rule of thumb is to aim for about 5x turnover per hour. So the 2200 on its own will be fine, but having the 1200 also will be better. Always best to have some filter redundancy.

To a certain extent it depends on how you set your tank up. I have a 450 litre tank, heavily planted with large driftwood and run an FX5, sun sun rated 1400lph and a power head which are all required to keep water movement going around the tank.

Those 2200 are good filters, I rate mine as good as or maybe slightly better than the FX5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...