Lighting a 5ft tank

alexyay

The tank is about 26" deep, and will contain swords (E bathii, E horemanii, amazon sword, E uruguayensis), java fern, and probably a cover plant such as dwarf sag.

We're looking at T5 units but can't find one long enough, will 2 smaller ones have strong enough light to penetrate to the bottom of the tank?

I've been recommended LEDs but we're looking for a convenient purchase - No DIY (don't want to invest too much in something that may not be the best at the moment, so are looking for a premade well recommended unit). However if anyone knows of any LEDs strong enough we may consider them.

Our budget is around $250-$300, but we *can* extend that to $500 (some links to see would be nice) but only if quality can be assured D: (big investment!)

i think a 36'' hagen glo T5HO would have enough spread and light with some powerglo tubes and raised above the tank

So despite it not being long enough it should have enough output? We did look at them - I've just never seen them in person so figured I'd get some opinions first. Definitely an option!

So despite it not being long enough it should have enough output? We did look at them - I've just never seen them in person so figured I'd get some opinions first. Definitely an option!

I had a 3ft unit over a 4ft tank raised about 6 inches off the glass and was perfect. they put out a lot of light

on a 5ft it should be good, at worst you might have the very corners slightly darker.

My tank is 5ft. I have two x 2 T5HO 54watt on my tank and 2 T8 - they are 48 inches long and fit well. I have 3 arcadia plant pro bulbs in them and one sunlight. The T8 are one tropical and one sunlight. My tank is 60cm deep. As long as I don't allow the taller plants to shadow the substrate I can grow glosso quite well. Personally I wouldn't go 36 inches as in my tank the light wouldn't penetrate enough.

• 2 weeks later...
I think ira swears by satellite+ for med/high output.

Nope not me. I'm still not convinced most LED setups are nearly as efficient as people are claiming, given the specs for the cheaper ones put their lumens and PAR per watt as significantly worse than T5s and T8s and the expensive ones are only slightly better.

I'd like to hijack and ask:

I'm aiming to do a very heavily planted medium-tech 2ft tank (first time venturing into non-low tech planted).

I don't want high growth (because it is quite a small tank), but I want vivid greens (right now plants get dull a few weeks after purchasing), so providing too much co2/nutrients/light is an issue for me.

I currently DIY CO2 dose @ 1-2 bps.

I'm upgrading from 1x18W T8 (way too small) and have two options:

2x24W T5HO light hood (http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/aqua-zonic-t5-60cm-24w-double/m/2972/)

2x20W T8 light hood (http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/aqua-zonic-t8-60cm-20w-double/m/2972/)

My thinking is that the T5HO will simply be overkill and will be too much for some of my low/med lighting requirement plants, and will promote algae growth?

Either way for bulbs I was planning on 1x 10,000K and 1x 6,500K.

Also, has anyone ever tried to upgrade their single tube lighthood to a double tube? I would imagine it is as simple as getting another ballast, end caps and then wiring it up? I'm having trouble selling my near-new single tube hood on Trademe :(