Latest hatch of N. Guentheri

matt_man

An importer down here has brought in some good Nothos but couldn't get them through quarantine. I had rachovi many years ago. Bred thousands of guentheri, used to spawn them on fine sand and seive the eggs out and put them on peat. You can get the peat really dry and they do well. Only used to hatch 10-15 % each time I wet them. Sold the males at 6weeks.If they get velvet don't treat with copper---lost a few hundred in one hit with one seventh of the normal dose.

An importer down here has brought in some good Nothos but couldn't get them through quarantine..

I wonder why that is?

This isn't my first notho species over the years I've had Eggersi blue, Foershi, Palmqvisti and Rachovii. I've really only started keeping them again recently after a number of years away from them. Only recently built a fish room so i can try and get and breed as many killies species as i can find. I too used to spawn them on fine sand and sieve the eggs out before storing on peat.

4 weeks old - These are matt_man's

Video is terrible - but the colours are very nice in real life

Looking really good they've grown really fast what have you been feeding them on?

i got some clowns last week they're laying nicely and so are the p82's and choc australes.

Pauljones?

Collected 35 eggs from my choc's last night (only had them 6 days)

Haven't checked the p82's, striatum, golden australe or clown mops yet but im sure ill find something when i do.

I've been off work and school for a few weeks over the holiday period so the young nothos were getting one feed of microworms and 2 feeds of bbs a day. They are almost ready to breed - so ill do some batch breeding and start sending eggs around the country to those keen to keep and breed more.

Feeding the adults on a daily diet of mossy larvae - bbs - white worms and a tiny amount of flake every other day.

Glad there are a few of us still putting some effort into these awesome fish :)

Yeah sure dude - the female striatum turned up seriously egg burdened - and blew all over the moss as soon as i tanked them - but none were fertilized so im just letting them settle atm - got this shipment about 6 days ago - must have beat you to the females :P

Did any of the fish you got off rodney have deformities? i can't breed from some of them as they have quite obvious spinal deformities.

I got 2 pairs of everything he had available - from each species i have at least one deformed fish - bit of a shame - was pleasantly surprised at the size i received though - basically ready to go and no deaths. I've only got four clowns - unsure of sex - none are showing any colour yet so maybe all females as they are close to full grown.

I too got my australes off Rodney. I have collected many eggs, but all end up fungus. Tried the wet peat method and also eggs in water treated with meth. blue. No success with the eggs atm, it seems the eggs are unfertilised and no signs with eyeing on the eggs. Keep me updated with your progress.

I'm having luck with mine both on Peat and in water had about 1/3rd on peat turn white the rest are developing nicely. Have only lost a few egg with water storing, I'm using a very lite dilution of meth blue in the water. and I've got the peat a bit wetter than i have with nothos I'm collecting about 20 eggs a day off 1 pair.