Bullies in Hoffmans Dam / Naseby

aotealotl

Hoffmans Dam in the Naseby forest has lots and lots of little Bullies at the moment. I thought Bullies need fresh and running water. the little fish are sun bathing on the mud bank along the lake shore in the very shallow water.

bully4.jpg

not that easy to take pictures of these little ones especially if the dog wants to go and have a bath as well

bully5.jpg

bully6.jpg

there are bigger ones as well

bully1.jpg

bully2.jpg

bully3.jpg

would like to get some before they get eaten by the trouts in the lake. what is a good trap ? what is good bait ? a coke bottle with the top part cut off and put on reversed should do the trick, right ? any better solutions ? don't want to use a net, they are way too fast and the water turns murky and stays that way too long...

millions of little backswimmers (Notonectidae or boatman or what ever they are called) in there as well at the moment

bully7.jpg

yep a 'baitcatcher' should work

anything specific to put in there as bait or will a piece of chicken heart or chicken liver do the trick

or spotlighting at night

will try that in the water race, bigger fish in there

Free live food with all the backswimmer/waterboatmen

yes, did catch many last season for my juvenile Axolotl and frogs (for the frogs I did put them into a little glass without water and the frogs did climb into the glass to have a feast)