How do you know when to get discus

morfin

Hi all. Always been a dream of mine to have discus. I have a 300l tank, with bristlenoses, cories, neons, harlequins and three rummies in it. But how do you know whether or not you can add Discus? Tank is 9 weeks old, fully cycled, over filtered, gravel vacc'ed and 20% water change every 2 to 3 days. Everything is 0, bar nitrates which are 5, kh and gh are 3. Can I have Discus, and if so how many? It's a nerve wracking decision ................ And if so who or where is the best place to get them?

The main issue I see there is temperature compatibility. Corydoras like cooler temps, around 24-26 degC, whereas Discus like hotter at 27-30 degC.

Discus can get by at 26 but at this temperature they are more prone to health problems, and also your cories won't be too happy at this temperature. They also grow VERY slow at lower temperatures (although regular meat feedings of bloodworms and ox heart help growth rates).

Also you should definitely get more rummynose. They do best (and look best) in big schools of 10+.

Thanks kinnadian, i agree re temp so have been slowly working to bring the temp up. Rummies - I agree, was going to add some this weekend but the LFS didn't have any. Rummies at three was as a result of an earlier issue - I did have ten. Re the cories, I'm intrigued about this whole thing because since I started upping the temp all the fish are showing better colour and seem happier. The cories are out the front more, playing more and seem happier. Tank is now at 28, which is was actually spiking too each day in the heat anyway, so now it is consistent all day. And the cories have been doing the frisky dance a lot too. I have another tank so will absolutely take anything out that is not flourishing and put them where happy