Reptile time

camtang

I have a tank that is 1500x700x700 and water tight and I have decided to give reptile keeping a go in it.

I would like to be able to grow plants in it preferably emersed, but this is not essential.

I do not want to do turtles as I have kept them before and they did not really do it for me.

I like the idea of doing something like a full eco system, plants, water, mist, frogs, lizards maybe fish. Or the opposite dry, hot, lizards/skinks, low water plants etc ( I hope you get the idea of what I am looking at).

One major thing to consider is I would like kid friendly as it would be nice to be able to "pet" the animals with my kids so something of a decent size would be good as well, but not essential.

I have had a look at all the care sheets a few times and I am still unsure, so I thought I would ask for some advice from people who have kept them.

Any info would be nice to help me make my mind up.

Thanks all and merry Christmas :cr2:

If you want a reptile where you can grow plants in the same tank then a water dragon would be a good idea. They thrive with a nice amount of water in their setup but they can be a bit skittish to hold. Both of my water dragons aren't anywhere near as tame as my old bearded dragon or blue tongues.

A fully planted frog tabk could look epic. Check out some of jason's and insect directs old ones, they are like full ecosystems where everything lives off eachother which sounds like what you are wanting. With a tank as large as the one you are describing then you could have a colony of frogs and maybe if you are lucky will get get spawnings in the enclosure and you will literally have your own miny ecosystem in your home. If you arent too fussed about the "wanting an ecosystem" thing and more wanting a good reptile to start off with then a beardy may be the way to go? There are also certain plants you can use that will tolerate the more dryer habbitats. Beardies are really friendly and a good reptile for kids, so maybe thats an option aswel? I find yourube is a good way to get ideas on tank setups as there are tonnes of excelent examples of what you are wanting, so id reccomebd having a squiz on there aswel. Good luck anyway :thup:

Have a look at this thread for that question- viewtopic.php?f=40&t=61189

Thanks that is really helpful, the video on you tube is something I would possibly like to mimic.

A fully planted frog tabk could look epic. Check out some of jason's and insect directs old ones, they are like full ecosystems where everything lives off eachother which sounds like what you are wanting. With a tank as large as the one you are describing then you could have a colony of frogs and maybe if you are lucky will get get spawnings in the enclosure and you will literally have your own miny ecosystem in your home.

All of that sounds great, except I am unsure if just frogs would get the kids attention ( this may not be a bad thing however).

If you arent too fussed about the "wanting an ecosystem" thing and more wanting a good reptile to start off with then a beardy may be the way to go? There are also certain plants you can use that will tolerate the more dryer habbitats. Beardies are really friendly and a good reptile for kids, so maybe thats an option aswel? I find yourube is a good way to get ideas on tank setups as there are tonnes of excelent examples of what you are wanting, so id reccomebd having a squiz on there aswel. Good luck anywa

A beardie sounds good, I have also been told that blueys are good with kids. I will get hunting on youtube, when I get some spare time. Thanks

I have seen a well planted tank with frogs and fire bellied newts and it seemed to be successful. I would be a bit worried about the newts getting eaten though.

I have not read anything about fire belly newts, thanks I will look into that as well.

Thanks for all the ideas and help so far, much appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

I have taken some advice and have decided that selling this fish tank and replacing it with a purpose designed reptile enclosure with opening front doors is a smart thing to do.

So I have been looking at the Reptile one RTT 1200, RTT 900 and reptevo 900. Has anyone had these enclosures before? Reviews and thoughts?

I think I have narrowed the animal down to a Blue tongue or a beardie. I would love two or what ever one I go with, but don't think any of these are big enough for two, is that correct?

I am still working on the mealworm reproduction as well.

They are all on the small side really (height being the main problem, and so dont leave a lot of room for customer fixtures or give you flexiblity with heat / light bulb heights.

I do recommend getting something made up to meet your requirements. I had Greg make my old one.

Cheaper than the commercial ones too.

71744_1581861300736_490504_n.jpg

71744_1581861460740_4060759_n.jpg

They are all on the small side really (height being the main problem, and so dont leave a lot of room for customer fixtures or give you flexiblity with heat / light bulb heights.

I do recommend getting something made up to meet your requirements. I had Greg make my old one.

Cheaper than the commercial ones too.

Thanks for your input. The problem I see is that there isnt many if any tank builders down this way that would/could do that, so I would have to get it frieghted from somewhere. Also I am kinda slowly convincing the bird too let me have this and a store bought set up is more along her taste :facepalm: . However in saying that functionality is also important to me and her so if a custom one would house them better than it may also be a goer.

Looks great. What is the lid like?

i opted for no lids (as they come aquarium style), was a simple case of a sheet of mdf to sit on the top with some edging. i had most of my equipment screwed into the underside of the lid.

with the sliding front doors, the lid doesnt need to come off much. this tank was a 150 x 45 x 55 from memory

Camtang, in a 4ft - only 1 beardie, or 2 blue tongues (ive housed 4 bluetongues for a few days with no issues)

Thanks for your input. The problem I see is that there isnt many if any tank builders down this way that would/could do that, so I would have to get it frieghted from somewhere. Also I am kinda slowly convincing the bird too let me have this and a store bought set up is more along her taste :facepalm: . However in saying that functionality is also important to me and her so if a custom one would house them better than it may also be a goer.

Use a standard aquarium. 4ft or bigger. just bear in mind without sliding front doors you'll have to pick and choose your equipment (ie. fixtures that can attach to the rims)

Ive seen a few open topped tanks used as beardie tanks, they still look and work good.

I had a 5 foot aquarium but opted out of it because of the top part from advice from another reptile owner.

Would 2 blueys be pushing a 4 footer?

Can try more than one but more often than not it doesn't end well. Best housed on their own or in a huge area with plenty of hides and bark or something they can dig into. Still doesn't guarantee all will get on.

My 4x4 foot outdoor pen is too small for multiples really. They just cant escape if one is having a bad day.

I had a 5 foot aquarium but opted out of it because of the top part from advice from another reptile owner.

Would 2 blueys be pushing a 4 footer?

I dont think so. Blueys arent quite as solitary as beardies. I had 2 in a 4ft, and as mentioned, 4 for a few days with no issues. 2 is probably the best limit long term though.

they seemed to like the company :)

290510015.jpg

Have you had reptiles for a while Morcs? This is a first time thing for me.

for a wee while, but not for a few years. only kept BT's and beardies.

A singular beardie will give you far more satisfaction that 2 blue tongues. Beardies interact with you a lot more. blue tongues just do their own thing.