Morcs Aquanano 40 log

Morcs

Thought id start a proper log for once :)

Found the perfect tank for my needs. Looking to do a low maintenance low tech (excel, no ferts) planted tank with community stocking (been years since ive done a community tank)

For plants im going random. usually ill use only 2-3 varieties, but this time im going to just cram it with all sorts. Waiting for one of those trademe special packs of 30 stems to arrive to go with the crypts, sag and others that ive been growing out in another tank.

Tank:

Aquaone Aquanano. 40x40x40, 55L (12G)

4mm curved curved glass with false back hiding filtration area.

Really like the look of this. Filtration system appears to be awesome - some of the benefits of a sump (large size, quick and easy to maintain, hides equipment) without having the plumbing, or a pump big enough to move water a distance upwards.

Comes with a 500lph aquaone powerhead which fits nicely along with a 55W heater. 2 bags of bio noodles are supplied (great so you can wash them alternately (to avoid killing bacteria)

Tank is 4mm glass with lids, will look great rimless. Im a bit apprehensive as tanks this size im used to having 6mm glass and some bracing.

Substate is seachem flourite dark. Looks nice and naturally. Washed it about 10 times, and managed to fill the tank cleanly. As soon as i decided to rescape the substate it clouded up, and thats where im at currently.

Waiting for light unit to arrive :cofn:

So tank arrived today, nice box. I bought mine cheap from livingreef.co.nz, as it didnt come with a heater or PL light unit like it says on the box

IMG_20131204_190601.jpg

0000419_aquanano-aquarium.jpeg

Rear filter unit.

IMG_20131204_192443.jpg

Pulled the flourite out, and lay some black grit underneath to give me more depth and so i can build up a corner somewhat.

Chucked in my few crypts and sag and filled her up (again), was waiting for light to arrive.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So light and rest of the plants arrived today so much work to do.

Light is a beamswork 200 LED unit. 5W with 33 LEDs. Well and truly in the low light category but very sleek and compact and looks fantastic on the tank without lids (but i have cats :( )

IMG_20131209_180257.jpg

IMG_20131209_180311.jpg

IMG_20131209_181402.jpg

Baby javaferns finally arrived so i could attach them to driftwood to complete the hardscaping.

IMG_20131209_183135.jpg

Then i had one of those 30 plant specials from that fella on trademe. I wanted to plant it densely to start and see what thrives / dies and go from there.

they come as a big bundle:

IMG_20131209_183224.jpg

Here they are, threw most in the bin as not enough room.

IMG_20131209_183623.jpg

Will update later this week :)

Light is a beamswork 200 LED unit. 5W with 33 LEDs. Well and truly in the low light category

Not really, don't forget that LED lights are many times brighter (there's a technical term here... many times more luminous?) per watt than ye olde incandescent bulbs...

Those are really cool driftwood pieces, and they're going to look great when the java fern gets going. Where did you find them?

Got them from HFF Albany.

Went in early on a Saturday morning and sat on the floor and played lego with them pretty much until I had two pieces that I liked :bggrn:

Heres the tank this morning. Looking forward to everything straightening up, then ditching their emersedness.

IMG_20131209_211727.jpgIMG_20131209_211739.jpg

how quiet are these tanks? want to get one but as its going in beside my bed will need to be quiet..

Its fairly quiet, but hard to say how it would be in the dead quiet of night.

Looks good, can't wait to see it once the plants start fulling out.

I can see a fighter fish in there, are any other fish planned to be stocked?

Eventually i want to have it quiet heavily stocked, not sure what with yet.

Waiting for the plants to settle down and decide whats staying in - dont want to be constantly putting my hands in rearranging plants when its stocked :)

How are you finding the beamswork leds overall so far? Looking at putting some new lights above my tank (1200x560) but would like some plant growing ability if possible

Also, how narrow beamed are the leds individually?

Thanks

Hard for me to say how narrow the beams are - the spread of light is good and 'beams' arent visible.

Quite happy with the unit overall. However, i wouldve liked it to be more sunlight rather than cool white in the spectrum.

I think on a 4ft, the biggest unit you can fit should be good, due to the depth though, your foreground plants might be limited to low light plants. Cram it full of stems and crypts, and javaferns and i think the light will be good.

What are your plans for CO2 in the future? Are you getting a pressurised rig?

No still running DIY. just got some better equipment coming - brass check valve, co2 tubing, ceramic diffuser and a proper bubble counter. what im running at the moment was what i found in a blueplanet air set for $6 :)

then i might get one of the bottle cap sets to tidy it up

Fair to say I can comment on the Beamswork 200 LED unit fully now.

Great light unit but undersized for this size tank - the next unit up would be too long, a square shaped unit even with these strength LEDs would give a better spread of light on a cube of this size and id probably be content.

My weeds (stems) are growing well, and my low light plants such as JF and crypts are coming along nicely. However, the dwarf sag in the foreground isnt responding at all and i feel at this depth the level of light (as well as forward/backward spread) is inadequate for slightly higher light plants.

That said, on something shallower and narrower, such as a 90x30x30 i would be quite confident the appropriate sized unit would look good and grow most things too.

Other thing is the LEDs are 10000k. Not the ideal place in the spectrum and also gives quite a cold look to the tank.

I have gone and ordered a new unit today. Quite hard to find something suitable i must say. No good options in NZ really be it LED or tube. Couldve done a HO T5 2ft unit, but i wouldve had to make mounts to suspend it (did this on my marine tank) but much $$$ and work. Buying units from the US is difficult as they are 110v mains - the beamsworks come with a 100-240v transformer so at most i only have to buy an adaptor.

New unit is also a beamswork. Their newon ultra bright unit using 3w leds at 6500k. PAR ratings are around 300 at 12'' but start dropping once you get toward 18'' depth. Quite confident it will give me a better spread of light as well as more power. Not liking the fact that 1/3rd of the bulbs are actinic however. I should be able to use both lights together if needbe with the timing staggered.

Presentation1-22.jpg