Protein Skimmer Question

newaqua

Hi All

Ok, so I have had my Protein Skimmer going for about 10-11 days now. Initially, the first 3-4 of that were just with my cured rock in the water.

Last Saturday I put 2 x clown fish in (small). Its a ~120 liters (including the sump). Its a brand new Tunze Skimmer.

I have not got any skim yet. Should I? Is it just a running in period for the skimmer/tank?

I have the skimmer adjusted so the bubbles are coming up just to the bottom of the cup, like the directions say.

Ideas?

I am just venturing in to the salt side of things but my understanding is that if there is no excess protein then you will get nothing. I would expect that if your tank is still fairly new then this would be the case.

(Waiting for someone more experienced to come along and say yay or nay)

Brand new system.

Cycled in a barrel over three months,

Been in the tank now for 2 weeks (the rock)

Skimmer has been on system for 10-11 days

2 x Clownfish have been in the system for 1 week.

I would love to post pictures here, however the last time I tried, it was more difficult than I could figure out.

It may take a few days to start skimming depending on skimmer. This is not uncommon.

I remember trying mine out in freshwater when I first started in the hobby to test it and getting grumpy that it didn't bubble like the pictures. :facepalm:. Put it in the saltwater and bingo.