Should I Allow Sibling Angels to Breed

peet

I have 7 angels who are all siblings and who regularly lay eggs. Till now I have never worried about the offspring as they get eaten in my community tank, but the current batch are being well looked after and may actually survive.... whats the rules about allowing siblings to breed... should I euthanase the wrigglers to ensure the genetics don't become weak (e.g. like the rubbish neons you see in your LFS which have crooked spines and thin bodies).

Cheers - Peet

Not a good idea to keep doing it (and how many times has it been done before you got them) but I think it happens a lot. When breeding commercially the gene pool is a lot larger so risks are smaller.

I totally agree. Buck the trend try source some new individuals. What type of angels are they I have a friend in Palmy that loves his Angels. He might want to swap.

This way you breed stronger and healthier fish for future fishkeepers.

Good on you for asking a great question.

Inbreeding is the beginning of every new strain and a usefull tool in the hand of the breeder.

Nothing wrong with it in general - as long as you keep an eye on deformation, vitality, fertility and longevity of the offspring. Since you dont have any informations about the origin of your stock, it will be a bit of a gamble...

Cheers,

JaSa

Inbreeding is the beginning of every new strain and a usefull tool in the hand of the breeder.

Nothing wrong with it in general - as long as you keep an eye on deformation, vitality, fertility and longevity of the offspring. Since you dont have any informations about the origin of your stock, it will be a bit of a gamble...

Cheers,

JaSa

That a great point. Inbreeding is an excellent tool in ones belt if you have specific idea or goal in mind. This is especially true for people breeding a species like guppies, where the offspring mature rapidly and you can see if there negative effects in the above mentioned categories.

Breeding brother/sister over and over again due to convenience is something very different.

Whatever you do keep a log and plan ahead. Keep us updated with photos and always remember this is a safe place to to ask questions and voice opinions.

I always thought angels had conformation standards to breed towards like bettas and discus. If so, then as long as your pair are close to standard and the next generation will be an improvement on the parents then inbreeding is a very useful tool. It lets you narrow down on selected traits which would get lost in an outcross.

I personally wouldnt want to go higher than F4 but there are breeders of betta who go up to F6 before adding newblood without side effects so I dont see how angels would be too different