filter placement

Rouseabout

I have two canisters, each spray bar is on the back wall flowing the water toward the front of the tank. I aim the flow up toward the surface, if your flow is to much drill out the spray bar holes to 4.5mm which will reduce the intensity of the flow and stop the holes clogging up.

hmmm... sorry to hijack this thread.

But My CF1000 has similar setup as yours. Intake and output both on the left hand side corner. It has spray bar and water flow from the output is pretty weak.

I am wandering should I place the output pointing upwards or downwards to have a better water circulation towards the intake nozzle?

Is it the best way to do it I just use silicon to cover those holes if I want to seal the spray bar?

BTW, tank is 170L and 90cm long curved front JEBO790R.

Cheers

the circulation or direction of flow in the tank will have no effect on the flow rate of a canister.

If the canister bucket is full flow is effected by head height first then clogged filter pads or piping. Also make sure it is primed correctly, open the priming cap a little to purge any air that may be in it.

the circulation or direction of flow in the tank will have no effect on the flow rate of a canister.

If the canister bucket is full flow is effected by head height first then clogged filter pads or piping. Also make sure it is primed correctly, open the priming cap a little to purge any air that may be in it.

Yep, it is primed and piped properly inside canister. It is a second hand CF1000. So maybe replace impeller?

I was cycling the tank the entire week. I have to say CF1000 is a pretty quiet canister compares to FX5. Well..may be because FX5 is much powerful.

Just water flow is a bit weak. I havent put any rocks into the tank yet just coral sand.

So a little bit worry about circulation after tank is stocked. All those waste ...

This is just my opinion but I can not see the point in having the intake and outlet in the same corner of the tank unless the flow rate is sufficient to move the water going in the tank to the far end of it and back, providing circulation throughout the tank. To me it seems that a lot of the 'clean' water will end up going straight back up the intake.

What is the reason for having them in the same corner (just wondering)?

This is just my opinion but I can not see the point in having the intake and outlet in the same corner of the tank unless the flow rate is sufficient to move the water going in the tank to the far end of it and back, providing circulation throughout the tank. To me it seems that a lot of the 'clean' water will end up going straight back up the intake.

What is the reason for having them in the same corner (just wondering)?

having them in the same corner/end with the the spraybar aiming down the length of the tank is the most efficient way to filter your tank i have found and the best for getting the filter to suck up all solid waste as well. The water flow goes along the top of the tank then drops at the end and returns back to the suction pipe and as long as you arrange your tank scaping items so it doesn't trap the waste it works perfectly.

My tank is 2.0m long, i have a suction pipe and spray bar at each end but the spraybars are facing the front of the tank so that creates a barrel roll type flow at each end. there is no way i could set it up to run perfectly so i added a wave maker that creates flow down the length of the tank and that works very well for moving solid waste to either end where the suction pipes are.

Smidey that makes absolute sense. Thanks.

I was thinking mostly about not enough flow to clear the waste from around the tank.

I run cf1200s on my 1200 x 300 x 300 tanks which are only just over 100l each. I think you are going to need that second filter :)

Smidey that makes absolute sense. Thanks.

I was thinking mostly about not enough flow to clear the waste from around the tank.

I run cf1200s on my 1200 x 300 x 300 tanks which are only just over 100l each. I think you are going to need that second filter :)

i use a cf1200 to filter my 300L tank which at times has had 40 odd tropheus juvies so there is plenty of potential for a single canister.

Well.. In my case I have CF1000 on 90cm L x 45cm W x 66cm H. Curved front tank. Intake and output at left hand side corner.

I was thinking to put big river round rocks stack up in the back to give plenty hiding space. As this is my Malawi project I am going to put all of my Malawi cichlids into this tank.

I think you can only tell by gave it try...

• 1 month later...

Problem sorted by adding an extra wave maker on the opposite side corner to the intake nozzle.

Wave maker is pretty powerful 3000L/H.

Now I have CF1000 intake nozzle on left hand side bottom and output on left hand side top. Output is pointing 45 degree downwards. Wave maker is at right hand side bottom.

Now I have STRONG water movement in the tank.

I can barely see ANY waste in the tank ANY time :) :thup: :dnc1:

I think the string water movement will keep my fishy moving all the time therefore keep them slim with good shape..... :bggrn:

Hi all - happy NY!

I ended up placing the second cf1200 inlet in RH back corner and spraybar along back wall (pointing sl up and towards front). Even at half length the pipes were too long for the end wall but my original cf1200 outlet points down the tank to provide end to end water movement.

CF1200s are the only externals ive tried so im no expert however there was zero noise increase in adding a second filter - the only noise is from the air pump. The fact that the Cf1200 was still only $139 at HFF helped.

Somethink must be okay - ive got peach zebra fry and some others not yet identified which are darting around in the rocks (although this is supposed to be a male-only tank lol :lar: