Babies White Clouds!

SanityChelle

Random news, but I noticed tiny little tadpole like fish swimming around my tank this morning, mostly close in with the plants, and my white clouds having a fun time gobbling up the ones that were too slow.

Should I have anything to worry about? I'm not too worried about keeping them alive as my tank stocking is about 80-90% at the moment, and the adults seem to be enjoying their cannibalistic snacks.

It's nice to know my minnows are happy though.

As long as you don't mind them getting eaten it is fine to leave them in the tank, the protein will be good for the wcmm. If you want to increase the chance of them surviving adding something like java moss will give them something to hide in. But well done, the fact they are breeding shows that your fish are happy in your tank.

I always thought that too calculator but saw the following in a Practical Fishkeeping article about what not to say in an aquatic store and one of them was "I must be doing something right if they’re all spawning"

Their reply was...

Good old anthropomorphic behaviour has a lot to answer for. We humans like to breed when conditions are good, when things are just right. We like to be in a position that we can provide for our kids – even if Jeremy Kyle would disagree with this. And what’s more, we assume that this mentality carries across the species into the world of fish. The problem is that it doesn’t always.

There are many species out there that tend to spawn when things are going well and truly up the creek. Certain catfish, for example, tend to be triggered by deteriorating water quality, indicative of rainfall to follow. Some creatures will only reproduce when subject to appalling conditions as their breeding indicator.

Certain inverts, too, tend to go into spawning mode when things are much less than desirable in the tank, and this isn’t an entirely freshwater phenomenon.

They seem to be alright, and everything appears to be in order with the water.

I did recently put in quite a dozen or so cuttings of ambulia into a corner which has gone nuts and turned in to a ridiculously bushy wee forest that they've been enjoying. Perhaps before then, they didn't have anywhere to put the eggs.

Who knows, google says you basically need wet water to breed minnows.

They are about maybe 4mm at the moment, and I can only spot maybe two or three in a certain corner at a time.

I do have a small blackmoor in there with my minnows (already has a home waiting for him when he gets too big, poor man was bought when I first started and didn't know enough), and he's probably cleaning up the ones he can catch.

Definitely fallen in love with the WCMM as a schooling fish. I know the bigger fish seem to get a lot of love around here, but as an apartment dweller, these little guys are perfect.

• 1 month later...