November 18, 201312 yr comment_542282 Hi, Just new to this forum, have posted an introduction on the new members board. I am just setting up to breed guppies, in particular I am interested in the snakeskins, and the sword and crown-tails. I am fascinated by colour and type genetics in all sorts of animals, having studied genetics to University level. I'm looking forward to seeing where I can take a line of guppies, although I will have to do this with a minimal number of tanks for the meantime. Currently have a 34 l planted tank, and 40l and 25l bare-bottom tanks. Have been searching as much info on guppy genetics on-line as I can find (must buy the Guppy Designer book asap), and have a small nucleus of breeding stock ( one rather handsome snakeskin boy and 5 un-hit girls). I am looking for at least one more, maybe 2, good boys, red-tailed snakeskin, ideally blonde or carrying blonde; if anyone can help?? Happy to pay for shipping if needed. I see there used to be some sort of Live-bearer Club set up, can anyone tell me if this still exists, or not? Cheers Report
November 18, 201312 yr comment_542293 Where are you based? I have two snakeskin strains, one blonde one grey type. They do not carry any red traits unfortunately, The blonde is a yellow iridescent and the Grey is a yellow/green type that is a leopard fish hybrid with INTENSE patterning. Report
November 18, 201312 yr Author comment_542296 Where are you based? I have two snakeskin strains, one blonde one grey type. They do not carry any red traits unfortunately, The blonde is a yellow iridescent and the Grey is a yellow/green type that is a leopard fish hybrid with INTENSE patterning. Hi, I'm in Christchurch (just figured out where to add that to my profile ). Your blonde strain sounds interesting. Guess that could be my first challenge, to transfer the red onto something like that. I have been awed by the red albino snakeskins (and all the others) on this site - http://www.dogsandhorses.net/fish.html , and fancy trying for something similar (how I wish!! ) on a blonde base. If you have any boys for sale, I would definitely be interested. Report
January 19, 201412 yr Author comment_544883 One of my guppy girls finally gave birth last night, and as of this morning I have somewhere between 35 -40 baby guppies swimming round in their own little 'plastic box' tank, hovering up decap brine shrimp eggs as fast as they can. :happy1: Very exciting to finally have some babies there to watch their growth and development. I have managed to locate some blond gold lace snakeskin males locally (and 2 albino red moscows), so mama fish is now in another nano-tank with two of them for the next few days, and there are 2 more girls due to drop babies in the next week or so. :thup: I'm so glad I have got the tanks sorted out now, with boys in one, girls in another and several smaller plastic bins for fry etc. Even my partner is getting interested, well sort of, he thinks the guppies might make good lures for trout fishing :facepalm: :roll: !!! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.