Stepping into saltwater....maybe! help me decide!

samuel90

So I came across a picture of a Nano-Reef tank, was a Dymax IQ3.

I loved the idea, but have literally no idea about marine- filtration, fish quantities, live corals etc.

I currently have an african cichlid set up of 185 litres with aragonite, and really want to step into a mini reef!

What do I need to think about?

I would like something like this - White sand, live corals growing and moving, 2 clown fish and a crab! Thought it might look uber cute!

Can not wait to wake up and read all of your many responses and recommendations! :)

Sam

So I came across a picture of a Nano-Reef tank, was a Dymax IQ3.

I loved the idea, but have literally no idea about marine- filtration, fish quantities, live corals etc.

I currently have an african cichlid set up of 185 litres with aragonite, and really want to step into a mini reef!

What do I need to think about?

I would like something like this - White sand, live corals growing and moving, 2 clown fish and a crab! Thought it might look uber cute!

Can not wait to wake up and read all of your many responses and recommendations! :)

Sam

Most first suggestions is, "Whatever you do, DO NOT start with a nano reef." In the region of 200-300 liters is usually the suggested minimum. The Redsea max 250 is a generally good all in one setup.

Why not?

Because, basically, the smaller it is the more difficult to keep stable. The less stable the more you will kill. Nanos can be difficult enough for people with experience. For a newbie...Have fun flushing $200 fish and $100 corals every few weeks.