55L Tank; What to do with it?

TmanNZ

I'm certainly keeping a Koura, no doubts on that but as I've been reading on this forum, not many fish are suitable... What about Cockabillies? Can you keep them in a tank? They're pretty fast so I don't think they'll be caught, and I've seen them in Koura Habitats but not too sure. Any ideas?

Also native plant life and where to collect, preferably floating, you know why (Darn Koura). Would really like something in the tank that grows... I've got Hornwort (Ceratophyllum Demersum) but that's just plain invasive so what else? Help would be appreciated :bggrn:

Welcome to the forum :)

I have Riccia http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?page_id=2379&PID=RF1&EM=1 as a floating plant. Not realy sure where you can find i, I stumbled on mine randomly in the Hutt River and havent seen it before or since

Bullies are cool! Just make sure you Koura isn't too big, or they might turn into snacks!

Other people will be able to advise you on what you could have in a tank that size more than me, but you might be able to get away with a small group of Inanga or smelt?

See my other post about bullies but 55l is small.

I started with a tank about that size, search 'west coast stream' or some thing like that.

Inanga (one of the whitebait) will probably out grow a tank that size, and they have a tendency to swim in to the end of the tank real fast.

Plants - look at duckweed and azola for floating.

The smaller bullies seem to keep well clear of my koura, but the full grown ones seem to get the odd fin niped. With the bullies it would be best to get a male and a female or two females. Best bets would be Upland, Cran's or Redfin bullies.

The next thing to think about is keeping it cool over summer, 1.25 to 2l bottles of frozen water will help lots.

Will work, but it is easier to add a frozen bottle morning and afternoon than doing a 20% water change every day. Another way is to mount a fan above the tank blowing air across the surface.

Looking abck I had a few inanga in my 55L when I first set it up, but I upgraded to a 430L soon after

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=49650

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blueether/5264024421/

• 1 month later...