tank dividers

dino

I haven't tried it myself but I've heard positive results from this type of divider - http://www.fishforums.com/forum/bettas/ ... ettas.html - of course the craft mesh isn't that great if you've got a big tank.

I'm going to be trying to divide my tank for fry with a sort of foam, no idea how it will go but I may put filter wool or something similar wrapped around it to make sure no fry can get through it. Not sure how well the foam works though :dunno:

I think I will do a case study here, I am going for the more expensive option as I have 5 breeding ram pairs! I'll keep you posted.

It makes sense to use foam, as it can be moved around no silicon.

This and part 2 video is great:

Saves buying a canister, will be more heat efficient, harbor lots of good bacteria, quieter I can buy two 50x 50cm for $40 each with this I can make 3 dividers. One section will be purely used to keep filter medium.

One section will be purely used to keep filter medium.

You might find you don't need any additional any filter medium. The foam sheets will provide more than enough beneficial bacteria. If you aim for a cycle rate of 2-3 times an hour you will have multiple Hamburg Matten Filters.

I would suggest that you design your setup to ensure breaking the surface in every compartment. A hole in the return piping works well.

Good luck mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Poret works really well highly recommended

One section ready for the rams, will add wood java fern and maybe a Bristlenose

div1.jpg

Each section has water disturbing surface

div2.jpg

4 sections, quite spacious

div3.jpg

when finished I will post more photos