Water changes for Cichlid tank

Pippin

You should only clean a filter once the flow is affected.

I disagree, in fact I believe doing that is a recipe for disaster. If done correctly there is no reason you shouldn't clean your canister filters every time you change water, you will not be "removing bacteria" and you will not cause a mini cycle.A canister filter full of waste will be doing two things:

1; producing loads of nitrate. We all know the cycle goes waste > ammonia > nitrite > nitrate. The aim of the game with water changes is to keep the nitrates at an acceptable level (the other two should always be zero). So why, in the interests of maintaining good water, would you leave months worth of waste sitting inside your filter decomposing and creating more nitrate, meaning more water changes?

2; potentially polluting your tank and harming your fish. In a matter of hours with no water flow a filthy canister will turn into an anaerobic environment and start producing annoxic gases. If the filter switches back on before you get to it you're going to end up with rather toxic water being spewed back into your tank, which could wipe out your stock. Essentially, you're playing russian roulette with your fish.

If set up correctly and maintained regularly canisters aren't that hard to clean. ANY aquarium filter should have the water flowing through mechanical media first (in order of coarsest to finest) to catch the physical waste before it reaches the biological media. If cleaned frequently you may not even need to touch the baskets with bio media, but all they should ever need is a quick dunk in a bucket of tank water. This will not harm/destroy your beneficial bacteria, just don't leave it sitting around dry all day. The mechanical media can be replaced or rinsed under the tap as any bacteria it houses it shouldn't be required if there is sufficient biological media.

I know people get away with going ridiculous lengths between cleaning canisters, recently on MFK one guy admitted to not cleaning out a canister for nearly a year! However, it is far from 'best practice', and will certainly mean you need to change more water to keep your nitrate in check. And it could mean death for your fish in a worst case scenario...

Thanks David

So with cleaning the canister just a dunk in the aquarium water in a bucket is ok to remove all excess gunk and not upset bacteria stability?

I'd dunk, swish and squeeze all the crap I can out of it. But I was mine under the kitchen tap so have a good supply of clean water.

I have realised that there is a corolation between my water changes and the banding on my Fronts that night. If I do not do a change most/all of them are very dark. The days I do a small change some of them get some banding on them and the days I do big changes most of them get nice banding on them. I may try and do 30-40% a day for the next 2 weeks and see if that gets the banding more prominent.