Good enough for glosso?

AquaMike

Hey guys i got a question that hopefully someone has more knowledge on than me, im almost ready to setup my tank but can figure out if i want glosso or microsword as the carpet, im leaning more towards the microsword side onlg bcoz ive heard glossostigma is a fussy thing, so heres my tank specs and hopefully someone can give me the answer as to if id have enough lighting foe glosso, if i got enough lighting then ill go that route.

Tank specs are as follows:

600mm long/300mm high/300mm wide( ive worked it out to roughly 50 litres)

Lighting specs are 2X18watt aquazonic max bright fluorescent about 100mm from the water surface.

Substrate specs are:

Base layer(1 inch) of darltons aquatic mix with a 1 inch capping of either black silica sand or black brightwater pebbles( 3mm to 6mm) from hollywood fish farm.

Tell me what you guys think, im going for a sort of takashi amano style tank with heaps of java fern and a few anubiuses plus a carpet of some sort.

I grow it submersed in my 60cm deep tank and was told it would be unlikely to work unless I went to MH lights because of the tank depth - I use 4xT5HO and 2xT8. My T5HO are acadia plant pro bulbs. It has covered well to the surprise of many even growing under the big swords although grow is much slowed there. I do not know whether the ferts in the substrate are helping as well. I also dose ferts every second day using the Tom Barr method. I was growing magdelensis chain sword until the glosso established and that went absolutely mad, now I only have a few plants of that and the rest is glosso.

I looked at your question last night and wasn't certain. At a depth of 30cm the T8 lights will possibly work, I would put the highest quality (which means more expensive) bulbs into your fittings and get them down as close to the surface of the tank as you can. Do the 18watt cover the entire surface of your tank - length and width? Or are they the 18" lights. The idea will be to get as many lights on the top as you can - the light needs to penetrate right down to the substrate and as glosso does need high light. If you want to come and pick up a small amount of glosso from me you can see if it does take. It should start to move within a week if the lighting is sufficient.

I grow it submersed in my 60cm deep tank and was told it would be unlikely to work unless I went to MH lights because of the tank depth - I use 4xT5HO and 2xT8. My T5HO are acadia plant pro bulbs. It has covered well to the surprise of many even growing under the big swords although grow is much slowed there. I do not know whether the ferts in the substrate are helping as well. I also dose ferts every second day using the Tom Barr method. I was growing magdelensis chain sword until the glosso established and that went absolutely mad, now I only have a few plants of that and the rest is glosso.

I looked at your question last night and wasn't certain. At a depth of 30cm the T8 lights will possibly work, I would put the highest quality (which means more expensive) bulbs into your fittings and get them down as close to the surface of the tank as you can. Do the 18watt cover the entire surface of your tank - length and width? Or are they the 18" lights. The idea will be to get as many lights on the top as you can - the light needs to penetrate right down to the substrate and as glosso does need high light. If you want to come and pick up a small amount of glosso from me you can see if it does take. It should start to move within a week if the lighting is sufficient.

It covers the whole tanks lenght but only about 140mm wide, i can buy some feom animates as they have a few nice pots, i might try it with my current lighting as im on a budget now that ive just har a child born

Its worth giving it a shot if you like the look. The plants are not that expensive and even one pot carefully broken up and replanted will give you a decent spread. My tank is 5ft and I put in 3 pots down one end and its happy travelled the 150cm tank length.

Its worth giving it a shot if you like the look. The plants are not that expensive and even one pot carefully broken up and replanted will give you a decent spread. My tank is 5ft and I put in 3 pots down one end and its happy travelled the 150cm tank length.

Hmmm i myt give it a try then, ive bought a 15 kg bag of play sand for the capping

There will be glossostigma sp. in the waikato river in the Tron, the other bet could be Karapiro or Arapuni Lakes.

The problem with wild is that is will be used to much brighter lights than what will be in your tank - so might pack a sad for a while. Also note that it is illegal to disturb a river/stream/lake bed

There will be glossostigma sp. in the waikato river in the Tron, the other bet could be Karapiro or Arapuni Lakes.

The problem with wild is that is will be used to much brighter lights than what will be in your tank - so might pack a sad for a while. Also note that it is illegal to disturb a river/stream/lake bed

OH TRUE OOOPS I ENDED UP DIGGING SOME OUT EARLIER LOL, AND FOUND A BABY EEL ASWELL, HOPE IT ISNT ILLIGAL TO TAKE THEM TOO

Its illegal to release any creature in to the waterways, even if you return them to where you got them from. The reason being that you do not know what potential diseases etc they may have picked up from your tanks or ponds, what plants they may have ingested.

The below is one point taken from this thread -

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=49106

' You may not transfer live aquatic animals from one natural waterway to another without permission. If the species does not exist in the recipient waterway DOC permission is required. If it does already exist there, approval is required from the Ministry of Fisheries. It is also illegal to release fish back into a natural waterway without prior approval, even if you are returning them to where they came from. The only exception would be where a fish has been caught and then returned immediately to the same waterway (eg. if you are recreationally fishing). If a fish that has been in captivity is transferred back into a natural stream it could have contracted some type of disease or fungi which that fish could then spread to a natural population.'

yes they are native, but it is illegal to release/return any aquatic animal/plant into a waterway under (I think) the biosecurity act.

What it means is that once something is removed from the waterway (not the water) you can't return it without DOC/MPI/etc permits.

What size was it?