What external filter would you recommend?

Pippin

I run 2 aqua one cf1200s on my African tank and they work great. You can pick them up from Hollywoods for about $130 each which is pretty good value IMO. If you can pick up a fluval fx5 at a good price that would also be a good option for a tank your size

for price it is hard to beat Aquaone, plus they are easy to get replacement parts. avoid Sunsun as their power consumption is rediculous. if you have the money eheim or Fluval would be the go, more expensive early on but last for eons. also remember for Africans the aim is to filter for 2-3 times the tank volume, that way you can handle a lot higher stocking making for a better display. or a 450L tank I would go at absolute least 2 x 1200 preferably 4 x CF1200 filters, benefit is that you can add the extra filters later as you stock up or find cheapies on trademe.

Aquq one cf1200 all the way, they are one of the cheapest filters on the market, they filter well and last forever (I know people who have ran them for 7+years with no issues), and parts are readily available and cheap. I have never broken any of mine I have purchased ones other people have broken and fixed them.