My African Cichlid tank journal

Trelize

Fill it up!.......fill it up!

Finally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A little cloudy still but water is in !!

1 small leak on the return line but not a major , I must say thanks to everyone for the advice given and DavidR thanks for suggesting the Herbie overflow it works great , I do need to tweak it a bit more by extending the emergency drain by about a cm or 2 then it should be pretty quiet ! :fshi:

20140404_200334_zpsluepuk50.jpg

20140404_213429_zpspmr78mqs.jpg

20140404_213456_zpssopktyaa.jpg

Nice one mate lookin good. How are you cycling the tank?

thanks mate , I got some ammonia and was considering going down that route but it was suggested to me that if I got some filter media from a healthy existing tank and as I am starting with juvenile fish I should not have any issues and should just keep an eye on things so for the moment I am thinking that could be the way ?

Yeah mate thats the easiest and quickest way to cycle a tank. When I set mine up I ran 2 canisters smidey gave me one of his already established canisters and I gave him 1of my new ones. I added fish straight away worked a treat. Swapprd canisters a coupla weeks later.

Been running it over the entire weekend , still cloudy ?? anyways I am sure it will eventually go once I have some fish in there and the filter is actually doing something other than just flowing clean water through it ... :fshi:

I have 15-20 Dems on the ready so hoping to get them in by the weekend along with some Media from an established tank to kick the filter into life .

A few more pic's of the finished product , I am well pleased with the outcome , actually I am over the moon ! The Wife loves it too !

20140405_192917_zpsv96gpnt6.jpg

20140405_192954_zpszizrcyk3.jpg

20140405_193042_zps32x3vp7w.jpg

Fantastic, I think the best part of it is your wife likeing it. :rolfl:

Yup , she was always keen on a tank from the beginning , I don't think she expected it to get as big as it ended up though :fshi:

That said we both decided it would be great if we could make it a feature in the house hence the through wall part of it

Awesome looking tank!

Two sides viewing is great!

Thank you , the side without the cabinet is definitely my favorite , it does kinda feel like I have 2 tanks really :lar:

Well done mate looks like all the hard work has paid off. Gonna look nice full of dems and yellows

Thanks mate , but its been a learning curve as I have been going and I have never had cichlids before so looking forwards to learning all about them and their parameters , but enjoying it and can't wait to get them all in !

I have had the tank running for almost a week , yesterday I added some healthy used media from another tank and around 20 Juvenile Dems that are exploring like mad ,

Question is , the tank has been constantly cloudy from day 1 , will it go away ? would there be any harm in adding a bit of Carbon ?

Glad to hear the fish have settled in well :)

There is no point in adding carbon it will be fine suspended dust from the substrate etc, it will clear over time or you can just pack the sump out with tons of filter wool and try and pick it all up.

Hey Ryan ,

Yeah they are loving the new digs , I thought I threw one of the yellows away with the bag , but turns out he was just real good at hiding , he was out and about this morning though

I will try and be a bit more patient with the cloudiness :slfg:

I do have a bit more filter wool that I will use when I get home ...

curious.... the black marble chip works the same as aragonite for a pH increase buffer?

As far as I am aware it does help as a buffer , as does the Cichlid mix , But I don't think its all you need ?

I also have 2.7kg Coral rubble in the sump, if I need anything further I will be adding Crushed Shell in the Sump .

Learning myself as I go ...

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update of how things are going ... :fshi:

IMG_1475_zpshuxbrfwn.jpg

IMG_1469_zpsmdgav6q1.jpg

water parameters are where they should be and I could not be happier :bggrn:

thank you to all the forum members that have given great advice and helped with stocking and building my tank :thup: