My little cold water play tank

F15hguy

thought I'd share some photo's i decided to snap today, this is my 20L 'play' tank, it was originally set up to house a dwarf puffer or 2, but my puffer died in a tragic accident involving a bottle of liquid soap :ske: .

so I decided to raise a couple (now 3) of Juvenile Redfin bullies in there instead, plus my favorite 2 leopard fish breeders (1x Male, 1 x female), (both showing some nice yellow) and a couple of shrimp.

please excuse the brown algae problem, i forgot to turn the light off a while ago, plus i missed a water change over exam week, it is slowly coming right again.

g4mb.jpg

my female leopard, note the plant on left, that is the un-id'd one i had the other day.

k2u1.JPG

and my shrimpies

bajy.jpg

looked again this morning and the larger one (still only just breaking the 1" mark) is in berry, by far the smallest berried female I've ever seen.

oh and btw the total setup cost so far = $20 for the tank and filter (great score from the markets), $2 for the gravel, $8 for the original parents of the leopards, and so far $8 for flake food.

oh and also the reason I don't scrub the sides (other than to save $$$ on back grounds :P ) is im gonna get some Latia (Native Glow in the dark Limpets) at some point soon and want a good supply of food.

any suggestions for hardscape? the plants in the right corner are rooted down hard but it is a play tank so i'm intereseted what other people would do, I have never done a "pretty tank" before, always been about breeding of keeping a specimen happy.

Ive always wonderd what makes them glow in the dark, any idea?

Bioluminescence

These animals are bioluminescent and highly phosphorescent. This can easily be seen in the dark by disturbing the animals, or by adding a few drops of alcohol to the water.[2] This is the only known freshwater gastropod that emits light.[4]

Latia luciferin is chemically (E)-2-methyl-4-(2,6,6-trimethyl-1-cyclohex-1-yl)-1-buten-1-ol formate.[5]

The chemical reaction is like this:[5][6]

Latia luciferin + XH2 + 2 O2 oxidized Latia luciferin + CO2 + HCOOH + X + H2O + light

XH2 is a reducing agent. Cofactor is luciferase and a purple protein.[6]

its a defence mechanism. any more questions :P:wink:

looked again this morning and the larger one (still only just breaking the 1" mark) is in berry, by far the smallest berried female I've ever seen.

update, less than 12 hours later, eggs are gone.. confused now... i definitely saw them. still think she was too small to be a she.

common all around nz, just rather boring. except for a defence mechanism.

How do you actually collect them though? do you make them light up or something to make them easier to find?

I seem to have a tropical version of freshwater limpet in my fighter tank but none seem to glow when messed with.