Cam's planted thread

camtang

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's cyano? And not concerned at the brown algae, its only building up on the intake chamber so it hasn't worried me at this stage. From what I understand all planted tanks go through a stage where algae builds up until it settles and becomes established.

50% WC every Monday and 8 1/2 hours light a day. Sounds about what should be happening?

Blue green algae, it smells like old socks. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like there's some against the front glass under the sand. Yes you're right, the early brown algae phase is something I've had to deal with time and time again, keep up the water changes. 8.5 is a lot for a new tank, I usually start on 6 and go from there.

MMMM old socks. LOL. I haven't smelt that yet, I will have a closer look when I get home later at the sand you were talking of.

I started on 7.5 hours and went up too 8.5 about a week or so ago. So far so good, at this stage. I wasn't sure if I was giving enough hours with the amount of ferts that's why I went up the extra hour and the plants seemed to be growing rather fast so I thought they were getting close to being established.

• 2 months later...

The next battle has now begun:DSC01249_zps69d0db2b.jpg

I have now increased my potasium nitrate to counter the BGA, decreased my phosphate, added new bulbs and tubes and decreased lights to 6 hours a day, increased WC to two 50-60% per week, and am about to add a heap of polysperma to try and suck some nutriants.

The plants are pearling like mad for the first time in this tank, the staghorn seems to have subsided but the BGA remains for now, Brown algae seems to have increased since the lights were replaced as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you don't disturb your substrate too much, and keep your filtration submerged, you shouldn't have much of re-cycle at all.

At most, you will just have a lot of suspended crap in your tank for a while, which has been picked up when rearranging and disturbing the substrate/rocks/etc.