My Apistogramma agassizii have spawned.

Fruju

I bought 4 Apistogramma Agassizii double reds on the Monday just past (2 pairs) and the largest male (3-4cm) has just spawned with a female after only 4 days in my tank. They eggs appear to be pink? Is that indicative of something or should they be another colour? The female MAY be eating them too, not surprised tbh.

It's not a breeding tank at all as well; I haven't done anything to the tank which has literally been set up for about a week. Ph about 6.5 I think but need to check again. Amm 0.0, Nitrites/Nitrates at 0.0.

Tank mates are 4 pictus :dunno: 10 lamp eye tetras, 2 gba and 1 royal whiptail.

Anyone with experience breeding apistos etc got comments?

Surprised they bred already.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Fruju. Well done on the spawn. The Agassizi are very nice fish. I bred these a few years ago and ended up with about 60 fish.. Only 4 males from memory. And yes the eggs will be a light orange/pinkish colour but will quickly turn whitish if infertile. I usually left the parents with the fry until free swimming then removed the male. I would leave the female with the fry for a good while to give them a good start. And as you said, they may eat the first batch. Just be wary of the female with eggs as they can be very aggressive to other fish, including the male, when protecting the eggs. Good luck :wave:

When you say this it makes me wonder.

I got a pair 2 weeks ago, and ever since the female has been extremely aggressive.

There is no chance of me seeing any eggs, unless she lays by the glass somewhere.

I still doubt that they spawned, but seeing as yours spawned so quickly, it seems more of a possibility that mine did too.

She has since calmed down a little, and the male now seems to be the more dominant. However they don't play nice...

They more than likely did Dennis. Along with the aggressiveness the female usually becomes a nice yellow colour. Feed them up and provide good water conditions and they should spawn again in another 3 weeks or so. :) And some pics please :wink:

Don't really want to set up a special breeding tank at this stage; if they spawn again and the fry are free swimming I might rear them separately, but chances of survival could be limited I guess.

I didn't even feed them live food to get them spawning lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Round 2 spawning event! She appears to have laid a bit more eggs than last time and I actually caught them in the act this time. Laid over 20 at least on the rear glass near the substrate in between a dense bit of twigs; tbh that's the best possible place she could have done it. Hasn't been seen eating eggs yet but she is defending the area.

I'm trying to get rid of my pictus haha, decided I should make the tank more suited for fry rearing.

Hey Fruju. That's good that they have spawned again. Maybe provide them with a small terracotta pot with a small opening or a piece of bamboo pipe. The confined space will keep the eggs from harms way and the female will feel more secure.