empress out cold

beets

i learned last night that a fish can be knocked out.

i was turning out lights as i was about to watch a movie and the tv went black as i turned the last light off.

the fish got frightened and crashed into the tank and one red empress managed to jump 100mm out of the water through the triangle cut out of the brace in the corner (mostly blocked by fx5 outlet) and fall 1600 to the tiled floor below,

i quickly picked it up and put it back in the tank, unfortunately it sank and was gonna become a snack for everyone else so i scooped it out and put it in a 100mm cube and put a air hose in it.

5 min later and still upside down and only a little bit of movement so i gave up waiting and went to start the movie.

came back another 5 mins later to check on him and he had escaped that tank too, luckily it was on the main tank and he made it in there. all 8 of my empress are swimming around in the tank happily this morning.

morale of the story is dont give up on a sunkin fish as it may be out cold

yep i had a bristlenose once that nosed into a hole in a ceramic ornament, and got stuck. he was in there two weeks before i had a go at pulling him out. couldn't pull him out, he was wedged in there. so i smashed the ornament with a hammer, freeing the bristlenose. when i put him back in the tank he just sunk upside down on the bottom for like 5 mins, then slowly came to. he was completely fine after an hour or so, and lived happily ever after till an oscar bit him in half...

I saw a 10cm aro do it once. Unfortunately it landed head first on the ground. Putting it directly in the path of the airline revived it but then it appeared to have been blinded as swam in small circles and bumped into the sides of the tank. Later that day it seemed just fine, swimming around, eating etc but it deteriorated overnight and died. Clearly a major head injury.