Will substrate contribute to drop eye? Tank re-scape

Hi guys,

I'm looking at changing around my big tank a bit before my pearl aro moves in.

I currently have dark (brightwater) gravel in there however I plan on painting the back black soon and I'm worried it'll look a little dark so was thinking of changing to sand. Bare bottom would be heaps easier but I don't want it looking too clinical.

I've heard having a bright substrate such as white sand can be a contributing factor to the development of drop eye - in your experience is this true? If so, I definately don't want to risk it and will stick to dark gravel and maybe choose a different colour for the background such as blue.

Also, what do bichirs prefer? I understand the catfish will probably prefer the sand.

Stocking is pretty much going to be aro, catfish and bichirs, ghost knife and a school of red and gold severums.

I'm a firm believer that there is a whole lot more to DE than environmental factors, which is why 99% of silver aros get it and very few others. It is very rare with jardini/pearl, so I think you're fine to do what you like with the substrate etc.

Drop eye has so many 'contributing' factors from peoples accounts that it is really a very disputed thing.

But i agree, i think its more genetic disposition.

IN the wild, silvers get drop eye too.

I had bare bottom for months with my aro and never had issues.

In fact, apart from silvers, i have never had drop eye. I hads a pearl with no drop eye in barebottom too at one stage.

Clinical, thats your own personal taste i suppose, i prefer substrate, but the reflection from the bare bottom seem to change their colour a bit, doesnt look right to me.

But great to hear you are moving ont o the aro world:D