I would like some expert advice

v8jaggy8

Hey everyone.

So I am starting up a 20L tank for a Dwarf Puffer but want to create an amazing aquascape of plants and what not for the fish to hide in and play.

It is a 350mm L x 220mm W x 260mm H Blue Planet Classic 20

Has a standard 5W CFL in it

Runs a 3 stage filter with carbon, bioballs and ceramic noodles

My questions are as follows:

With what I have in terms of lighting and filtration what plants am I able to grow?

What fertilisers will I need to get going?

Will I be able to grow plants in sand? (I want to have white aragonite sand as it won't harm the puffer if he decides to burrow)

Thanks in advance

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, aragonite sand is going to raise your pH. Use play sand or similar, this is fine for growing most plants.

First you need to decide what you want your tank to look like, pictures from the internet are good. Then decide if you want to go the high tech route, CO2, strong lights, ferts, or low tech, moderate lighting and few additional ferts. With your current setup, you'd be restricted to moss, java fern, Anubias and similar slow growing plants.

And in regards to the filter, ditch the carbon for a mechanical media such as sponge or filter wool.

I think that high tech, while more expensive and challenging, is worth the reward. Your biggest expense would be CO2 and biggest challenge would be hardscape but I'm more than happy to guide you through both of these :)

Yea I have seen your two major projects on here and thats what has inspired me to try a planted tank.

I would prefer to go down the low tech cheap way, purely because funds are very limited.

I understand that low tech will most likely take a lot longer but I'm prepared to wait it out.

What is the best way of going about starting?

My preferred method is starting on paper with layout sketches and equipment lists. As far as setting the actual tank up goes, start with substrate and hardscape and make sure these are absolutely PERFECT before you even think about planting. Also, ask as many questions and research as much as you can.

I'm glad I've been of inspiration to you 8)

What are some tips you can give me in terms of correct layout of a tank? As in do large objects need to be at the front or back etc?

And yea I am really loving that newest one you have a thread about any updates on that one while we are on the subject??

I'll post some links to aquascaping articles tonight when I get home but a Google search of "the golden ratio" and "creating perspective in aquascaping" should yield some good articles. The main thing is choosing suitably sized and shaped rocks for your scape, most people choose rocks which are too small and/or too boring.

It's not doing too badly, I'll add pics this evening perhaps ;)

Ambulia, crypts and narrow leaf java fern would be good in a low tech tank, I have these and they work well.

You could put the ambulia at the back, crypts down the middle and/or front and the java fern on a rock or piece of wood as a feature. In a small tank the narrow leaf java looks more in proportion than ordinary java fern as the leaves are thinner. You'll need to trim and replace the ambulia from time to time but it will give you some height and hiding places. They'll also hide under the crypt leaves.

For me, crypts have been fairly hit or miss. In some tanks they flourish, in others they fail. It's worth a shot though, your tank sounds ideal for them.

Here's the articles I was talking about earlier.

Aquatic Layout Guide- Rules of Composition

7 principles

Elements of Aquascaping

Note: it's a shame I have to link off site for this content but I just haven't gotten around to writing my own articles just yet.

Thanks for linking them Sam

You should get your stuff sorted and write the articles yourself nothing like having a quick go to guide for all this sort of thing.

I have always like Java Fern as well. Are there any Micro Swords that would do well in a low tech tank like mine?

If it's 60L or under you could probably get away with a sodastream CO2 unit on this sized tank, anything larger and it's better to fork out for a full sized cylinder. You'd need a sodastream cylinder, adaptor, CO2 regulator with solenoid, tubing, diffuser etc so you're looking at around $160-$190 to get all of that sorted.