Pig heart?

ally07

Hi all

After unsuccessfully hunting for ox heart today, I ended up buying pig heart instead.

I trimmed the fat and arteries, leaving what looked to be very lean protein. I tested a few chunks on my jardini and he loved it.

My question is, is there much difference between ox and pig heart?

The pig heart was much less fatty than I thought it would be, and looked similar to an ox heart. I suppose there would be a difference in protein content (beef would be higher?). But other than that, has anyone encountered problems with feeding pig heart?

Thanks.

Not sure whether it matters as a fish food but...

beef heart; Calories 32 Fat 1.12g Carbs 0.04g Protein 5.02g

pig heart; Calories 33 Fat 1.24g Carbs 0.38g Protein 4.9g

Well, my jardini isn't on Aitkens so the carbs don't bother me much.. :lol:

Have to say though, protein and fat content are closer than I'd anticipated.. I thought there would have been more of a difference between the two animals.

Yeah, I know there is an argument against feeding mammalian protein to fish. It's so commonplace yet I don't think I've heard of death by ox heart.

I have seen death by mealworm overdose (very disturbing autopsy). I have also read about how feeding prawns might cause long-term health damage to fish.

So I'm not sure if not feeding mammalian protein is actually bad or more of a precaution?

Cant be too bad for fish as my kokopu have grown well on ox heart (+ mealworms,waxmoth,crickets,etc)

That's what I've read and heard about too, ox heart is good for bulking fish up.

*cue Henward to post a pic of his huuuuge jardini*

haha, herre you go, beef heart galore.

armoana6.jpg

variety is still better. but mammalian meat does do wonders to bulk up fish

i used to feed a ball of mince beef heart to the loaches and comm i had.

but messy. the water gets fouled with a slime layer on top. if you hvae an over flow its not so bad.

All of the above... :lol:

There was an interesting thread on MFK a while back, basically about "obesity" in aquarium fish due to over-feeding and the wrong types of food. Many large CA cichlids (discussion was in the central american cichlid subforum) that one poster had dissected had big fatty deposits around the liver (IIRC) that was a likely factor in the premature death. I'll try find the thread when I have a few minutes spare...

that ia awesome! huge!

i guess in moderation

i dont do it anymore cos i figured, i didnt spend the money on brutus to feed beef heart lol like buying a sports car and using 91 i suppose.

but, if i had a jar, green i probably would occasionally.

also mealworms can be gutloaded with pellets very easily so that is my main thing