May 6, 201313 yr comment_527356 A couple of questions. I got a pair of gorgeous white sailfin mollies a couple of weeks ago (my first) and I've never seen mollies act the way they do - they stay close together almost all of the time and like to be in physical contact, intentionally nudging and 'caressing' each other. I'm trying not to project human emotion onto them, but they seem to genuinely like/love? each other lol. Is this normal for mollies or have I just happened on a couple of love struck wierdos? Also does anyone have info about molly mating behaviours? I figured mollies would be very similar to guppies in their mating but so far they haven't been. Up until last night the male showed little interest in mating with the female (only once that I saw) but now he is suddenly very interested - he keeps nudging her vent and then mating with her while she is very receptive, just hanging in the water waiting for him.... do females have fertile periods where they release pheromones or some such (in oestrus for lack of a better term)? Or is it perhaps that she is young and has only just become sexually mature? Report
May 7, 201313 yr Author comment_527390 I forgot to mention that just before the male got really interested in the female, she started looking a little more rotund than she had - possibly eggs ready to be fertilised? Hence why looking a little fatter and increased interest from her hubby? Incidentally, these two are also fascinated by my 6 month old daughter - they will come from the other side of the tank just to sit there watching her lol. None of the rest of us garner that much attention from them (me included *sad face*). Report
May 7, 201313 yr Author comment_527399 maybe your daughter is a fish whisperer... If only my bubba spoke english now so she could translate for me! are they sailfins or kissing's? Sailfins. Errr, kissings? Are there kissing mollies? Or do you mean gouramis? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.