I'm out of town for 3 weeks... How do I feed the fish?

DennisP

So you know for sure that you will never ever need an automatic feeder again?

You can get an "el cheapo" feeder on TM for under $20 and it will probably last a lifetime

I bought a cheapo one from trade me to try it put. Was surprised how good it works. Was $50 but works like a charm!

will the fish be ok without a water change for 3 weeks?

depends on what kind of fish and how heavily stocked. when i had 5 large goldfish in a 180l i had to change 80% of water every day. but i never change water on my planted tank, just top it up when it evaporates to below the filter outlet. only has a few small fish in it and plenty of plants to keep water fresh.

depending on what kind of fish he has, he could feed them by adding 50-100 feeder fish before he leaves.

Sorry for late reply.

The tank is my 54L biotope.

I will do a big water change before I go, and potentially might come back down to change it once.

The tank should be lightly stocked at the time.

6 Cories, 15 ish ember tetra, bristlenose, and a whiptail.

I could get one from trademe I guess.

I'm in a flat, so letting someone in to feed the fish needs to be okay with everyone, not to mention everyone I know will be out of town for the holidays as well.

TBH I wouldn't want my fish being fed daily if they weren't going to get a water change for three weeks. I'd forget about the automatic feeder and get a flatmate to tip a pre-prepared food parcel into the tank once a week just to keep them going while you're away. I've left larger fish for three weeks with no food no worries, but with smaller fish I'd suggest giving them a little once a week.

TBH I wouldn't want my fish being fed daily if they weren't going to get a water change for three weeks. I'd forget about the automatic feeder and get a flatmate to tip a pre-prepared food parcel into the tank once a week just to keep them going while you're away. I've left larger fish for three weeks with no food no worries, but with smaller fish I'd suggest giving them a little once a week.

+1

You could get one of those pill organisers and dish out the exact amount to be fed once or twice a week so you know exactly how much they're getting :)

or a auto fish feeder and a timer switch - have the timer set to be on only ~3 hours a day and hay-presto a once a week feeder...

Should work? :dunno:

This requires a feeder that is not battery operated.

Not many of those around.

Most feeders have a cycle of 24 hrs so will feed at least once pr day.

I've had my 300L on auto feeder once pr day for 7 weeks before.

Had a friend refill feeder and do a water change after 3.5 weeks.

All went well

Wow that is good to know, i personally can't get myself to trust the auto feeder when I go away.

If a. Flatmate was staying here there wouldn't be a problem. But unfortunately no one will be here for 3 weeks.

I would only feed the fish once a day at most anyway.

The feeder linked above would be good. Hopefully it's affordable.