Clown Laoch help

Dana

I have 6, the largest of around 10cm is not so hot this morning. Hiding in a cave, struggling to keep upright. Can't see any wounds or spots and he's not skinny.

The others appear ok. No recent alterations to tank, last water change 3 days ago of 30%. I'm particular about contaminants.

215 ltr Ar980

All levels are withing acceptable range (high P04 but that's not new)

Any suggestions?

Temp is 27.

One of the smaller one plays dead at times, but never seen it with this one. '

Just checked levels again. All ok. Ammonia has come a teeny bit but changing water again now.

Be gutted to lose him. Aim to keep them and invest in a larger tank when they get bigger.

Aim to keep them and invest in a larger tank when they get bigger.

TBH 215L already sounds a bit small for 10cm clowns, if you want to keep them growing and healthy then need room to stretch their fins. What are the dimensions of the tank? I'd suggest rather than waiting until they get big in a small tank, upgrade ASAP, you'll see more steady growth and will be less likely to stunt them. At that size IMO they should have something 4' long at the very least, ideally 6' if you want to keep them on a roll.

27C is on the cooler end of the spectrum for CLs, but unless you've got plenty of aeration and good flow I'm not sure I'd increase it much more. That said, lying on their sides in a cave seems perfectly normal CL behaviour to me. Is there anything else that is making you concerned, cloudy eyes, losing slime coat, etc? Keep up the water changes and feed lightly until ammonia is back steady at zero.

• 3 weeks later...
only suggestion is the obvious, another water change...

clown loaches are funny. one of mine used to play dead so often and for so long that i'd actually think it was dead. go to take it out of the tank and it would sprite up straight away. weird ass fish.

I went to a Discus breeder the other day and his Clown Loaches had 'turns' at playing dead

Done the math, and a tank upgrade is not in the budget at the mo. Have listed these guys as free to good home on the WTB section. Gutted, but my tank is just too small for them and it's only going to get worse.

Such a shame. But better for the fish :tears:

And it turns out they were playing dead. I was not impressed.