Cockatoo males

FionaK

Hi, Does anyone know if male cockatoos can change their colour? My tank has gold substrate but is heavily planted and has oak leaves. I purchased triple red juvies and they have come out yellow! I would like at least 1 red. Thanks

The fins are yellow? I think even if you breed two triple reds you can't guarantee you will get triple reds in the spawn, tho hopefully you would get some triples or doubles. So if they didn't have colour when you bought them then it was lucky dip to see what they colour up to be, thats the risk with buying juvies - usually the price reflects it tho.

They can change their body colour ie. can wash out, but in my experience the fin colour doesn't change after they are fully grown.

How big are they now?

Thanks for your response. They are approx 1 inch long. The fins on 1 are, pelvic, anal, dorsal and tail, all yellow with the black markings and the other, anal, dorsal and tail yellow with black markings but the pelvic fins are clear or no colour with black on the front of the fin. (similar to the female) Both have been flashing and dancing in front of females so was pretty sure by that display they were males. It has happened to me with my 1st cockatoo and a pic was posted in this forum by danval end of last year. These are my 2nd lot. (Sadly my 1st passed away) I'm just wondering what i maybe doing wrong. I'm wondering if it's the gold sand but notice lots of people have the white gravel and still get red males. I feed them tropical granuals natural colour enhancer alternate days to basic flake food and twice a week, frozen bloodworms. (petshop said only twice a week because it's a rich protein food) Any advice greatly appreciated as was really hoping for a red 1 this time.

I've found the photo but don't know how to post on here :dunno:

I think if they were going to be red their fins would be red no matter what substrate - more a genetics issue than anything you are doing wrong.

There were two types of cockatoo's that came in recently (last few years or so). The first had more orange fins with the black markings, and then the next lot that came in were a real deep red on their fins. I wonder if maybe your ones are descended from the first batch? Still classed as "triple reds" but more an orange variety. Or who knows whether the red red ones still carry the gene for the orange fins and throw orange babies?? I don't know. But I really doubt it has anything to do with food or substrate.

Then there were another batch after that but I am not sure whether they were orange or red as by then my beautiful red finned male had a gruesome siphon accident and I gave up on cockatoo's in despair... :tears:

Even yellow finned cockatoos would still be nice tho?

Thanks for that sunbird73. Have a look under, a new acquisition, page 5 on forum and scroll 3/4 down. You will see a pic of my male from last year. He's in a glass. Sadly I lost him but the new ones are turning out the same colour. See what you think. :)

It's really devastating when our wee beauties have horrible accidents. Like all pets, you get attached to fish as well and is totally gut wrenching when something goes wrong :cry1:

There is no orange at all. Not even a tiny bit. It's definite yellow with black markings. Did you have a look at the photo? I'm quite surprised that I have got another lot off the same breeder and these are coming out yellow as well. Thats why I thought I must be doing something wrong :facepalm: Maybe if they breed and if the young turn out yellow, they might sell well due to being something different :slfg: