another newbe

angelfish

hi all! ive been looking all over the internet for the past 5 months and have finally found a nz marine forum! yay :hail: .ive got a really stupid question for ya, and i havnt been able to find the answer so thought id just ask you guys/gals = if i collect fresh seawater for my (fowlr)200lt +100lt (sump) tank for water changes, do i have to heat it up before i add it? also do the little bugs and things that live in the water die, causing high levels of nh3? ive been told to store the water in black barrels for 3 weeks before using it, but then other people just collect it then put it strait in their tank. whats the best way? im so glad i found this site. just reading the threads over the past week has been lots of fun. and knowing that there is some great looking tanks in nz has made me even more determined to get my tank looking that good. thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

bonnie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are supposed to heat it, but I don't bother.

Let's say your tank is 25 degrees, and you do a 20% water change with water at only 15 degrees, in other words 10 degrees lower. That's only going to drop your average temp by 2 degrees. My chiller will do that and seems to have no negative effect. Heating up water can be a lot of jerking around, and IMO, each job should be as easy as possible, that way you are more likely to actually do it.

Also, my corals seem to like it when I dump in a heap of water at a different temperature, a few minutes later they expand right up, they think it is a new current coming in from somewhere.

And about the possible bugs in the water, the general consensus seems to be that provided you collect water from a good clean source, you are unlikely to infect your tank with any nasties.

I did a 200 litre water change (8% ish) today, water didn't change at all on my monitor, so its pretty much right at the moment.

I don't heat mine in the winter either, just add it into the tank slowly. If you notice it does drop the temp when you add it then consider pre-heating it.

Natural Sea Water is working well for many of us, the rule is to use it with the first day after collection, otherwise let it settle for 4-6 weeks (as per Steve's suggestion), the reason for this is any life in the water will die and settle in the bottom.

Personally, I don't think it matters, I just use it whenever and don't worry about it. In fairness though I have a large volume of water.

Would have liked to have seen your tank, was in Nelson yesterday.

Cheers, good luck and welcome to the site.

Pies

thanks for your help. that all sounds easy enough, now ive just got to go get the water! pies, I LOVE YOUR TANK! and you would probably be dissapointed in mine as i am just starting out. you might have seen it, its in the pet store in nelson. its not really mine, it belongs to the store. we're trying to do things right, with the sump etc instead of just using a canister filter. no protein skimmer on it yet, thinking of getting a deltec though. the tank is still cycling at the moment. the poor clowns in the shop are in a little 70lt tank at the moment-they will be going in the big tank once its all cycled. i feel so sorry for them in their little tank. ill try posting some diatom coverd pictures, ill just go read how to post pics now. thanks dudes.

I've started heating mine, I just throw a 150W or something heater in the barrel I store my water in the night or two before. That way I don't muck around with adding the water slowly to keep it from dropping too much.

so i should heat it over night first? is it ok to sit in a bucket airated and heated over night? i think i would like to add it when its close to the same temp as the tank water. and if it is alright to leave it over night i think i might do what you do ira - thanks.

oh, and if there are floaties do i pour the water through some filter wool? or just scoop it out with a net? and should i run a carbon filter in the bucket that the water will be heating up in over night? will that accomplish any thing? sorry again 'bout the stupid questions, but i dont know what to expect with real salt water - im so used to the 'mix your own' stuff :lol: .

Ideal time to collect is the last two hours prior to high tide. But weather conditions are even more important. If the wind is blowing on shore, forget it, the sea will be rough and water dirty. Wind must be blowing off shore, and sea should be dead flat. It's best when conditions have been like this for a few days to let the crud settle out of the water. IMO correct collection is what is important. What you do afterwards, in terms of heating, aerating, storing in the dark or whatever does not matter provided you started with good water.

But that is just my opinion.

after collecting NSW on many occasions in various "weather conditions" i would tend to agree with wasp comment above - delay changing water a day if it means 'clearer cleaner' water (otherwise possibly the stir up could also add extra silicates to your tank?) in fact, not only the water condition but the actual collection process is so damn difficult when the waves are crashing around too :D

i used to heat up my water prior to changing but dont bother now. doesnt appear to make an ounce of difference to corals or fish and the tank temp only seems to drop stuff all!

Judging the sea conditions is practically impossible, in my experience. Nice, sunny weather, no wind at all at home, Sky weather channel says practically no wind, hasn't rained in a week...Drive half an hour-45 minutes to get the water and huge waves, muddy water.

Anyone want to set up webcams at all the collection sites so we can just log on and have a look?:)

You want wind, the stronger the better, blowing off shore. Takes all the crud and scum in the surface layer away, and brings in the higher quality, deeper stuff. No wind at all, not as bad as on shore, but the water will not be the best.

Unless caught out unexpectedly, I only collect every few months, when conditions are just right & water crystal clear.

sounds more technical now :o . so get it when its crystal clear, lots of wind blowing off-shore (out to sea), and 2 hours before high tide? ok. good, now i think ive got it! i would have never knowen about the wind making a differance, thanks heaps! anything else about collecting water - types of storage containers?are any buckets ok? i want to use new buckets so theres no risk of getting detergents in the tank, but i havent been able to find any good solid ones with lids. anyone know where to get good buckets (stupid question, i know :lol: ). and about the skimmer for the tank, what do you suggest? i would like one that is reliably, but really easy to use. any thoughts? thanks again all, youve helped me lots!

i had a via aqua insump skimmer that was very easy and actually pulled out alot of junk, the best part of it was that it was really cheap, its sitting in the cuboard at the moment as i dont have a sump :-?

as for the containers try payless or like, get a dark (black or green) container that wont let in the light so that if you do store the water it wont get yucky with algae

and 2 hours before high tide?

UP to 2 hours before high tide. Ie: 1 hour prior would be preferred.

Skimmers, now there's a big debate :D You will probably find Deltec reign supreme amongst members here, but you pay top coin for them. My in-sump Deltec TS1060 is quite mad and takes a heap of skimmate out for it's size! All down to what you want to pay - but remember skimmer is an important piece of the puzzle so dont skimp on one. Typically getting one rated for twice the size of your tank is recommended.

Look for plastic 20 litre food-grade (important!) buckets with press-fit lids. About half a dozen of those will be sufficient and are water tight.

thanks for the clarification on the tides! also, sorry to be a pain (and very nosey), but what did you pay for your skimmer? and what size tank do you have? sorry for being nosey, but i dont think the boss would be able to pay over $700 for a skimmer at the moment. thats why we dont have a skimmer at the moment - still waiting for some money to pop up. but i do really want to get the best skimmer possible, even if it means asking the boss very nicely for a bit more money towards it.