SPRINGTIME

Goldie

Now that it is spring, is there anything that should be done by fish keepers?? Normally I have stripped the tanks and had a spring clean. However reading more I am realising that this is not necessary. So I am unashamedly picking the brains and experience of you all :lol: :lol: . What do you do for the fish and your fishy set ups at this time of year???

Goldie said...

> What do you do for the fish and your fishy set ups at this

> time of year???

I don't do anything special, just because it's spring. Those who

keep goldfish and/or other coldwater species may find spawning

activity taking place but generally tropical fishkeepers shouldn't

notice too much difference as the heating and lighting are

generally controlled by the aquarist.

Andrew.

I don't do anything special either since their environment is controlled. I have heard some people clean their houses at this time of year but can't for the life of me imagine why. I am allergic to cleaning - or any sort of housework - so do the bare minimum.

All right I'm deviating from topic but Caryls allergy to cleaning reminded me about someone I know of who is allergic to excercise - for real.

When people excercise lactic acid builds up in the body (it's what gives you the cramps etc). Turns out this guy is allergic to lactic acid. Sounds all very funny that there is actually a medical condition where you're allergic to excercise - pretty scary for the others that were on the soccer field when he started fitting :(

Guess he also has to be careful when wanting to get hot and sweaty with his wife.

ps (since I should make some attempt to stay on topic) I don't do anything special as far as tank maintenance is concerned come spring time, though I am probably more likely to get the plants a bit of a prune (but then we've got a tank crawl coming up soon).

With it being Spring, I am about to start preparing 2 or 3 largish tubs for outdoor use with my livebearers. This is my first attempt at it, and am hoping it works. I read an article in a recent issue of one of the aquarium magazines about raising my livebearers outside using natural vegetation as filters and the sun as a heat source. The fish will be getting moved outside in about 4-5 weeks. Naturally they will come inside once the weather gets cooler.

As far as my tanks are concerned, it only usual maintenance and no extras just because it is spring.

Joey said...

> With it being Spring, I am about to start preparing 2 or 3

> largish tubs for outdoor use with my livebearers. This is my

> first attempt at it, and am hoping it works.

I did a bit of this in the past and it can work well. Many of the

common livebearers do well (guppies, platys (especially variatus

types), leopardfish and swordtails - NOT mollys). There are

a bunch of other fish that can be kept outside during the

warmer weather too. Have a look at:

http://www.aquaria.net/art/finart/cool.html

for some suggestions from someone in Napier.

The trick, I reckon, is to use big containers with plants.

Remember to feed them and water changes are still

appreciated.

In general, outdoor kept fish have excellent colours.

Andrew.

:o wow first I have heard of rearing fish outdoors, apart from the good ol goldfish that is.

Would it work this far south do you think?? Friend down the road has trouble from kingfishers and white face herons raiding her goldfish pond.

She has stretched netting over the pond.

What sort of temperatures do you get in your area? Usually it is the hot summer areas where you can keep them outside. Long, hot days with no sudden cold days in between.

A lot of live bearers can be put outside (in a container of water of course :lol: ) as can many barbs. They grow on very wfast and well in a large outdoor container.

A wire cover ought to keep the birds and cats out.

Yeah, I know, this whole hemisphere is screwed up. Hot and sunny in the middle of winter, cold and rainy in the middle of summer, driving on the wrong side of the road and worst of all they spell worse than someone that failed english in 3rd grade!