Dwarf Puffer fish

mts sufferer

Hi, I have 20L blue planet tank that I am wanting to put a dwarf puffer fish in it, so I was wondering if that is enough room for one and ideally Possibly an Otto which seems to be one of the only other fish that they are fine with? It seems abit small to me but everything that I have read outside of FNZAS says there is plenty of room. But I know how you guys are with fish in too small tanks so I don't want to risk my life. :)

I was also wondering if they will eat white ramshorn snail (I think thats what there called) or are they a bit small for them?

kehat.jpg

Cheers :lol:

Tank size is fine, not much current. Snails WILL die. Otto should be ok I think.
I was meaning would the snails be too small for them to eat as they only get to a few mm in size, I can easily set up a tank to breed them in or do I need to get a bigger type of snail to breed ie normal ramshorn.

best to have 3 otto's, but it should be ok, i'd limit it to just one puffer though
Yes definitely thinking only one puffer.

At the moment I am cycling the tank with a few guppies so should be ready in a few weeks.

It currently has water wisteria, java fern, java moss and some ambulia for plants. I know puffers like to have floating plants so need to get my hands on some water sprite, which I some how managed to kill all of what I had. I have a rock and a fake log ornament in there as well.

Do I need anything else?

Cheers :D

I had two dwarf puffers, I started off with some ottos and them, they were living happily except for the occasional nipping from the puffers and one day POOF ottos gone never found them, so just be aware. Thought I would warn you as ottos are quite pricey. My puffers ate any size snails even the ones I thought was too big, they would just vigorously nip on the until they were empty, another friendly warning, feed only snails when they need them as food, do not think you can put 20+ in the tank to breed while they are in there, they assasinate the lot and only eat some of them when they get hungry LOL

Just sharing my experience with them. I learned they are a fish only species, any other fish is food, even big bristlenoses.

I had two dwarf puffers, I started off with some ottos and them, they were living happily except for the occasional nipping from the puffers and one day POOF ottos gone never found them, so just be aware. Thought I would warn you as ottos are quite pricey. My puffers ate any size snails even the ones I thought was too big, they would just vigorously nip on the until they were empty, another friendly warning, feed only snails when they need them as food, do not think you can put 20+ in the tank to breed while they are in there, they assasinate the lot and only eat some of them when they get hungry LOL

Just sharing my experience with them. I learned they are a fish only species, any other fish is food, even big bristlenoses.

Thanks :) , I think Ill leave out the ottos and just have the puffer. And I have a separate little tank to breed the snails in so Ill just feed them as many as they can eat at once.

What size tank did you have your puffers in?

Cheers :D

• 3 months later...

Awesome :D

I got one as well but Bruticus sadly past away about away about a week after I got him. &c:ry I'm not sure why he seemed healthy, was eating live mosquito larvae and was active but nope he died :( . RIP Bruticus.

When our house has been fixed I'll hopefully get another one. :bounce:

What are you feeding your one?