Critter Crazys first monster tank

critter_crazy

I figure I may as well finally start this thread, it's been a long time in the making.

About a month ago my 750L tank (180x60x70cm) finally arrived! It's now set up and slowly being filled with juvie cichlids etc. :happy1:

I've kept the look very basic, brightwater gravel, driftwood (still a couple of floaters waiting to sink) and a couple of fake plants for cover.

Heater is a 300W Jager. I have 2 x twin bulb Ocean 6ft light hoods and filter is an Aqua One Nautilus 2700 and a Aquius 1020 (which will be replaced with a second Nautilus in a couple of months.)

Current stocking as I say is just babies, as they grow I plan on either

a) Upgrading to a bigger tank :nilly:

b) Upgrading to more large tanks (probably more viable so I can split up the ones that aren't compatible as they reach maturity)

or c) Selling them on and keep my favs (Doubtful I'll ever have the heart to do this haha)

So far stocking is as follows (a portion of these are currently in grow out tanks for easy heavy feeding/waterchanges)

Red Tiger Oscar

6x Surinamensis

Golden Severum

Green Severum

Midas/Flowerhorn type fish

Texas

Black Ghost Knife

Choc Ghost Khife

Fire Eel

Royal Plec

Senegalis Bichir

Convict

Red Parrot

Silver Shark

Rainbow Shark

Golden Rainbow Shark

Borneo Tiger

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Green Terror

Golden Algae eater

Jap. Algae eater

Featherfin Syno

Pictus

I think that's it so far :lol:

I havn't yet got my head around how to take a decent photo of such a large tank so this will have to do for now:

P1060905_zps4143457e.jpg

Like I say, the list is not permanent. This is the first time I've been able to keep these types of fish so the plan is too see who I like, who gets along, and go from there. A few are just random fish that have been surrendered at work also - once everything grows a wee bit they'll be rehomed. I'm too impatient to wait for them all to grow to have a full tank :lol:

It's been a really interesting experiment so far though growing them all out together - so far no issues but so fun to watch them all interact! Couch now faces the tank as opposed to the TV!

Keep an eye on the more aggressive cichlids (texas/flowerhorn/gt) with the less aggressive ones, particularly the earth eaters. Large Central American cichlids have robust mouths with teeth designed for hunting and lip locking, and they will do damage to the eartheaters fragile mouths that are built for sifting sand (on the topic of which, the brightwater gravel is far from ideal for them).

I think you need to decide if you're going to keep more of a peaceful community type tank with the eartheaters and more mellow tankmates or more of a rogue tank with the CA cichlids etc and separate them sooner rather than later. That aside, the tank looks cool, and I'm sure it will look even better when the wood has sunk! Is it 700 high or wide?

Thanks David, that's looking like the way to go I think :) Josh is wanting me to squeeze his 5ft into the room which is getting more and more tempting by the day! 70 high - it looked so big when it first arrived but as I get used to it it's looking smaller and smaller which I'm sure is an issue lots of fish keepers have. I'm suffering quite bad with MTS! I'm living in my mums internal double garage at the moment and with all the tanks I have very little use for lights at night time :facepalm:

Sorry guys, the Texas and GT are quickly becoming my favs so doubt I'll be moving them on any time soon :slfg:

• 1 month later...

This tank has changed quite a lot, figured out which fish I really liked and kept those and moved on the rest. Also coming soon... dun dun dun... My first Aro :happy2: Will be sure to update with pictures once he arrives! :love:

Still waiting for that damn wood to sink!! :an!gry

Also looking at a wee cichlid breeding venture in one of my smaller tanks so more on that when I've done it up!

Will cut down more as they grow but currently have an Oscar, Jag, 3 different colour Parrot fish, 3 different Severums (Gold, Green and Red Shoulder, Blue Gene JD, Texas, Ghost Knife, Fire Eel, and Convict. Then for bottom dwellers I have 3 Polypeturus (Delhzi, Ornate & Senegalas), Featherfin, Decorus, Talking Choc Cat.

I think that's all, It doesn't look like that much in the tank as they're all small but I guess it's still a lot :nilly:

Getting a Pearl Jardini, was looking at the silver but the body shape is so much nicer in the pearl and I've heard they're much slower growing. SO excited!

Also added a second Aqua one Natilus (2700l/h) last month so the tank is running on 2 of those with 1 or 2 50% water changes a week. I'm enjoying it so much! Got a bad case of BBA but it's a really bright green so I don't mind it as it adds colour - the fish started eating the fake plants so they had to go :sml2:

Will cut down more as they grow but currently have an Oscar, Jag, 3 different colour Parrot fish, 3 different Severums (Gold, Green and Red Shoulder, Blue Gene JD, Texas, Ghost Knife, Fire Eel, and Convict. Then for bottom dwellers I have 3 Polypeturus (Delhzi, Ornate & Senegalas), Featherfin, Decorus, Talking Choc Cat.

I think that's all, It doesn't look like that much in the tank as they're all small but I guess it's still a lot :nilly:

Getting a Pearl Jardini, was looking at the silver but the body shape is so much nicer in the pearl and I've heard they're much slower growing. SO excited!

Also added a second Aqua one Natilus (2700l/h) last month so the tank is running on 2 of those with 1 or 2 50% water changes a week. I'm enjoying it so much! Got a bad case of BBA but it's a really bright green so I don't mind it as it adds colour - the fish started eating the fake plants so they had to go :sml2:

If your interested in getting and rtg arowana i could get you one later on this year if your interest pm me

No deaths so far and I'm keeping a close eye on it. A lot of people are telling me it's going to be a disaster but to be fair I could be doing a hell of a lot worse!!

Slow growing compared to the silvers I mean! My idea of slow growing and yours are probably very different - anything not full size in two years is slow to me! I'm happy with the pearl, don't want to spend too much. If I don't upgrade in a couple of years (which I probably will if not sooner!) then I'll rehome him/her. I wouldn't be comfortable with housing one larger than 40cm in this tank. I hate seeing those 50cm silvers on trademe in 300L tanks, so sad! According to my research 750L should do me fine for awhile. As I say, as fish get larger and more aggressive then I'll thin them out - so far lots of hiding places and everyones getting along great. Have even had JD's successfully raise fry in there until I took the female out which supprised me! Texas got a bit of a nip on the forehead by mum when he got a bit nosy and healed in a couple of days.

I have the usual Red Parrot, a Yellow Parrot and a Green Fire Parrot - last two I stumbled apon on a round of fish shopping and snapped them up for an awesome price - I've never seen them before either. Will upload photos when I can :)

But then again aros grow larger than the rest of what we get here, henwards jardini was at a foot in about 4 months I'd say, and agro as. I sold my jardini as he was far too aggressive to keep with any other fish apart from bichirs. Jardini would be fine getting large in that tank, it's just with a full grown oscar/texas/JD/Jag/bichir/parrots etc you need to watch stocking density vs waste output.

And a heads up, larger aros are hard to move on. Even Jars.