Automatic Fish feeder- help and advice would be great-

willow123

Hello people, I have 2 aqua one tanks that i am thinking of getting a automatic feeder for when we go away on holidays.

I have been looking around and cant seem to work out how the feeders would fit on the aqua one 620 for example. As its all inclosed with the lid and the filter on the back.all the pictures of them seem to be sitting on a open top tank...........

There must be a feeder that fits onto these tanks and if there is, would i need to keep the lid open teh entire time im away to let it work?

does anyone here have a aqua one 980 or similar that they have a feeder that fits onto it??

Any help would be great

Cheers

Leah

How long are you away for? Many fish can survive up to 2 weeks without feeding. It depends on tank, species, stocking levels and filtration.

I have no experience with fish feeders but the ones I have seen have sat on top as I have heard people say it is important to keep the food dry or it clumps and jams the feeder. Not sure if they are moisture-proof enough to go under a fitted lid but I assume there are some that do so.

How long are you away for? Many fish can survive up to 2 weeks without feeding. It depends on tank, species, stocking levels and filtration.

I have no experience with fish feeders but the ones I have seen have sat on top as I have heard people say it is important to keep the food dry or it clumps and jams the feeder. Not sure if they are moisture-proof enough to go under a fitted lid but I assume there are some that do so.

yes thank you that is what i was thinking. So i would have to keep the lid open for it to work and dispense the food. I am away for two weeks this time but i am away for 4 weeks later on next year so i was thinking of maybe investing.

I also have lots of little baby corys in one of my tanks this time that i am concerned that they wont get enough food and die off if i leave them for 2 weeks unfed. They would be in a planted tank though so that would help them i guess.

If you're away for four weeks have you got an automatic water changer set up too?

yep, I have a friend that can come round to do that but didnt want to burden her with the feedings too. Then she would only have to come round once and maybe do the water change and refill the food dispenser if needed.

If it weren't for the fry I'd suggest getting said friend to feed maybe once a week (or even just once during the four weeks), but as you said that may not be quite enough for the fry. TBH I'd probably take my chances with under-feeding them rather than rely on one of those mechanical feeders.

• 5 weeks later...
Is there nobody here from Tauranga willing to do a couple of feeds for willow123?

I have used the pill dispensers (from the $3 Shop) when leaving food for others to feed my fish.

Thanks for your kind request for me.

I managed to keep them all alive which was great.

I think when i go away later in the year i think i may just try and deligate my tanks around my friends houses with strict instructions on feedings.

Thanks for all your helps and advice. You guys are always so helpful :bggrn: