Help!! I think my fish have ich

frameaj1

Whitespot and ich are different names for the same thing - it's all ichthyophthirius multifiliis.

There are lots of treatments for it. My recommendation, regardless of which one you choose is to continue to treat after the spots have gone away. 14 days after the last spot goes is a good idea.

Do some research on the life cycle of ich - you'll do better treating it if you understand it.

so they don't have ich but they do have whitespot? :facepalm:

Go to the "Diseases" forum and read the first thread "How to identify common diseases". Once you've identified if you have Ich or whitespot ( :wink: ) go to the "Search" function at the top of the page and have a look thru the old threads where this topic has been covered time and time again.

Here's a couple of starters for you;

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=61520

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=56578

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=59857

Up to you to decide which method you use (salt or meds), but either way I'd recommend turning the temp up to 30-31C and doing large water changes every 1-2 days.

you can use clean salt from bin inn for a cheap method, but the LFS salt is definately clean. main thing to avoid is adding any undesirables like high levels of iodine or whatever makes that himalayan salt pink (dunno if its bad, just i'd be scared of having a girly pink tank for a while)